Unregulated Power PCB

luvdunhill

have you found any particular advantages, or circumstances/applications perhaps, where one might choose center tapped ground over post rectifier ground, or the other way around?

Interesting that you have allowed for both.

You prefer the MOV to a TVS(which come in smd i noticed). Would there be any advantage to paralleling the two, or using one over the other?

Edited by digger945

All good questions. I have found that using a center tapped ground is preferable in the case of high current power amps, but in something this small, it's hard to say... the only advantage I could see if the layout was simplified by using this connection, and the loop between the transformer and first smoothing cap kept as short as possible...

TVS are typically more precise than a MOV and they operate at different speeds. I remember reading about a combo gas bulb / MOV to get the best of both worlds there, but in this case paralleling made sense because of the much larger voltage that the gas bulb could handle... I'd suspect that one or the other would do just fine. Also, the capacitance of each might be of concern, I didn't check that.

You should build two power supplies, one using each schematic and then tie the outputs together, they will cancel each others weaknesses! And get one of those power balance wristband stickers and glue it to the bass transformer, it should help too! I read it somewhere...

• 6 months later...

So, I ended up having to split this into separate boards. So, this is just the AC filter. I tried to pay attention to current and voltage requirements on this one, the traces are 3mm traces with 1.7mm trace spacing. The board can accept an on board IEC socket, or a nice heavy duty wire-to-board connector.

Opinions?

post-482-0-97770400-1300898375_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-61172900-1300898381_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-36069400-1300898395_thumb.jpg

I thought about this. I have read that this introduces other safety concerns though, but cannot find the article at the moment. Has anyone else heard of this being a problem?

Honestly, I suspect that a live neutral is actually more of a problem for mis-wired appliances than house wiring. But I had no other suggestions or criticism, so that was it :)

• 1 month later...

I don't see any actual 'concerns' in that document, only whether the second fuse actually provides benefit.

Regulations suggest that double fusing should not be used in specific cases, but this is mainly for permanent-install industrial equipment.