Apex Arête v. Apex Peak

blessingx

Just got the Peak up and running. It was a quick setup so I just have the Tung-Sol in it now but it sounds great... clarity is right. Cannot wait to get my HD800's back this weekend.

Right now I have the amp on a footstool next to my setup. With my planned setup, I will only have about 1" clearance between the 6SN7 tube and the next shelf. I assume that will be ok, the tube doesn't get too hot and there is a lot of room around it? Of course, it is not optimal for tube rolling.

Edit: Guess I should have posted in the other Apex thread.

Edited by shellylh

Excellent impressions blessingx. I'm on the loaner list about 3 weeks out. Its going to be an interesting comparison, as I'm pretty enamored with the GS1. Still, I'm looking forward to this, as I have three options for an amp upgrade. The GS-X is the easiest solution, but with the loaner program, the Peak and Arete shouldn't be ignored.

Todd was nice enough to shoot out the switching power supply so I was able to do some quick testing. Due to work and classes I spent less time here than earlier. HD800 used for everything.

Is there a difference between the power supplies on the Arete and Peak? Yep. Not so much punch (at least with the previously mentioned albums) as atmosphere/space shaping with the Volcano - a (at least perceived) resolution enhance. It was so in both cases, though slightly more apparent on the Arete as I expect the tube on the Peak was performing some of the same 'atmosphere' duties.

In fact, a tube change on the Peak is how you should probably think of the scale of changes on both. Obvious? Yes. Essential? Not at all. Would you spend an additional $700 for a better tube? In this range I expect many will upgrade, but my fear is that goal will prevent others from considering the base. Both stocks still clear the transparency test against the P-1u for instance. As I no longer have a GS-1 to compare, I'm not going to declare a winner, but my suspicion is the Peak or Arete with stock PS would at the very least compete extremely well.

I could easily live with either Arete or Peak and the stock PS. And stock or Volcano I'm still confused which amp I prefer. wacko.png

• 3 weeks later...

Got an email from Todd, and apparently I'm the next in line. It would probably have been posted by now.

I'll be sending it to you well before my two weeks are up by next Monday.

I concur with almost everything Ric said. Really great amp. My review is on HF. Only difference is that I feel the Volcano PS is needed when using harsh or grainy headphones. Also some noise on very sensitive headphones like the Audio Technica's.

Edited by purrin

• 2 weeks later...