DRC Anyone?

naamanf

Having a handfull of Squeezeboxes in the house I was hoping to try my hand at DRC for my speaker setup. After working throurgh to creation of a filter with DRC and Inguz, it would seem Inguz doesn't work with the latest version of LMC. I could always try and run an earlier version, but I figures I would see what others have had sucess with?

BruteFIR seems like another option but I am LINUX retarded and it looks to be a bit configuration intensive.

This has been on my to-do list forever. Now that the lounge setup is in a stable state, and I have a beefy enough server it may happen.

No doubt you've read this thread (and the referenced threads) on the slim forum. I'd be interested in your progress.

Posted a question in there and it turns out my Inguz is working. It sounds horrible with the correction files I made but it does work. Now I just need to work on making a good correction filter.

Edited by naamanf

How did you take your measurements?

I have a ECM8000, but without the calibration file. I might sent it to them to get the calibration done, or just purchase a calibrated one.

I did the measurements with the Inguz sweep recorded through a Profire 610 using Audacity. Mic was placed to ear level.

Sounds like you did it right. I wonder what the issue was. I was thinking of giving DRC a shot like I do with headphones already but I'm lazy and the Behringer DEQ already has automatic room correction EQ built in so I just use that with speakers. Not going to be as good as full on DRC but pretty good.

Yeah everything looked correct, but it was my first time doing the measurements and doing the correction filter file. Maybe I got something backwards, which would explain the sound it gives. Or maybe I just need to suck it up and get better software for the correction.

Since I am doing the math myself I always check to see if my irfs cancel out as expected etc. Fancy software should not be required though it may make the process less painful (eg with calibration etc.) you may want to look at room eq wizard as you can get the irfs etc from it but it takes in calibration files and is free.

Since I am doing the math myself I always check to see if my irfs cancel out as expected etc. Fancy software should not be required though it may make the process less painful (eg with calibration etc.) you may want to look at room eq wizard as you can get the irfs etc from it but it takes in calibration files and is free.

I'll give that a look.

My math isn't so great, calculating the area under a curve is about as far as it goes.

After having mediocre success I came to the conclusion that A) I need a better Firewire card B ). will probably have to suck it up and purchase Audiolense. The licensing seems to be a bit crappy which makes it a hard pill to swallow, but if it works I think it will be worth it.

Edited by naamanf

How did your system measure after applying drc?

You can't really measure it after the DRC since it is a filter. Well I guess I could make a sweep .wav and measure that.

The filter I was able to create sounded like I was in a cave. Not good at all. The corrected .wav I made with Audiolense was much better but still not prefect. I think the crappy Firewire card is keeping it back. Should have a new one tomorrow.