noob req source advice

Danport

I am a complete noob at this. I have been lurking the forum, but I am confused. Most of the discussion is way over my head.

My goal is to get a reasonably nice setup to use while on my exercise bike at home.

I think I have decided on a pair of etymotic ER-4P In Ear Monitors because I need the isolation, the bike is very noisy. (see link http://www.head-case.org/index.php?topic=1097.0)

I don't have a clue what to use for a source, or an amp.

I am presently using an older dvd player with a headphone jack, but it won't play anything but a pressed disc, no CD-R's.

My budget for a source and amp is pretty low, maybe $300, but less is better.

I am reasonably computer literate, and can download and convert file formats, burn discs, and use flash memory without a problem.

Should I just get an Ipod?

Would I need an amp with an Ipod, or is the IEM efficent enough I don't need an amp?

Would a $50 Cmoy amp off of ebay, with the gain customized by the builder, work well with these?

What about using a portable CD player, or an inexpensive home DVD player with a Cmoy?

Or would a pc be a good source?

I wouldn't mind doing some reading, if you could direct me to a "audio for idiots" website.

Thanks a lot.

Danny

An ipod is a good choice, and works reasonably well with ER4P. If that's your primarly listening environment, I wouldn't worry about an amp. If you plan on listening in other locations too, contact mexican dragon about his SuperMacro v1. It was built with the ER4P in mind, and I'm sure he could be talked into selling it fairly cheaply.

I am a complete noob at this. I have been lurking the forum, but I am confused. Most of the discussion is way over my head.

My goal is to get a reasonably nice setup to use while on my exercise bike at home.

I think I have decided on a pair of etymotic ER-4P In Ear Monitors because I need the isolation, the bike is very noisy. (see link http://www.head-case.org/index.php?topic=1097.0)

I don't have a clue what to use for a source, or an amp.

I am presently using an older dvd player with a headphone jack, but it won't play anything but a pressed disc, no CD-R's.

My budget for a source and amp is pretty low, maybe $300, but less is better.

I am reasonably computer literate, and can download and convert file formats, burn discs, and use flash memory without a problem.

Should I just get an Ipod?

Would I need an amp with an Ipod, or is the IEM efficent enough I don't need an amp?

Would a $50 Cmoy amp off of ebay, with the gain customized by the builder, work well with these?

What about using a portable CD player, or an inexpensive home DVD player with a Cmoy?

Or would a pc be a good source?

I wouldn't mind doing some reading, if you could direct me to a "audio for idiots" website.

Thanks a lot.

Danny

Yes, get an iPod. In fact, if it's for exercise, you hardly need any interface at all, I would think that an iPod Shuffle would be optimal for those circumstances.

You could also get a cheap CD player, yes. Current flavour of the month is the Oppo universal player at < US$200. I wouldn't get a portable -- I'm not even sure those exist any more, and if they do, they suck (that I've heard).

I actually like my ER-6i's straight out of the player with no amp (in my case, I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3). I don't believe in getting an amp just for the sake of getting an amp, it needs to have sufficient improvement over the headphone jack for me to want one. I've only ever heard one "mint", and when it worked it sounded fine, but it also sounded fine straight out of the headphone jack. Now the Shure's need an amp. I don't know about the Etymotic ER-4p's, though. It is my understanding that they shine the most with an amp, but I've heard very few impressions of them unamped. Maybe ER-4i's...?

I've never tried the ER-4...anything, but I know it's in an improvement over the ER-6...anything. I'd be curious if I'd like the ER-4i unamped.

Your best bet is to get an amp from a company that will allow returns -- say, Headroom. You end up paying more than for a cmoy, but you get quality control, customer service, warranty, an upgrade path in most cases, &c.

Oh, and in terms of sites -- this one will do fine. You asked the right questions, the problem is your overwhelmed with the number of things you have to take care of (source, amp, headphones). No site is going to fix that, only a methodical approach will do. And don't be afraid to ask all at once (like you did), your choice in one area affects your options in another.

The ER-4P is a great IEM, no doubt. Some have reported microphonic issues with the cord and discomfort with the 3-flange insert eartips. Also I've read that the new shuffle has some sort of hiss issue with the Shure E4s, which it might also do with the ER-4s. The Shure E4 are another great IEM that don't have such microphonic cord issues and provide more sleeve eartip options and most consider them to be more comfortable as well. Just some food for thought.