Extreme = extremely happy!

Guest sacd lover

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sacd lover

do you think the Extreme is better than the MPX3 Slams, Earl? i'm about to email Mikhail about some trade in possibilities. i haven't even gotten my tax refund yet, and it's already eating a hole in my pocket :)

Different sound .... I am hard pressed to say the stock Extreme is better. But for the price the Extreme is definitely a better buy. The PPX3 SLAM with a good 2c51 is an awesome combo with tung sol 5687's. The same tube in the stock MPX3 driving 6bl7gta's is again; awesome. Even with the elevation of the older amps sound due to the new tubes the Extreme is atleast equally good. You might look into another tube socket adapter like the 2c51 or ECC type#1 though before you try another amp. The new gain tubes elevate the performance noticeably in my setup and the adapters would not be wasted if you did decide to get another amp later.

That said, the Extreme is getting more play time than anything except my Supra-Extreme. The Extreme has a very musical and satisfying sound that sounds so much like what I hear live. From your perspective, the Extreme has me listening to grados .... which I havent done in years. There will be some new SP models hitting the street soon too. The SS amp is going to debut at the National Meet; discrete Class A, mosfet .... completely new chassis design .... and some novel new features. There are atleast two new tube designs coming .... I know because I have already have paid for them .... and picked the tubes. Again, completley new designs with different tube types, new chassis design and ultra high power. I POSSIBLY have a special version of the Extreme in the works too. Income tax return .... please come soon. ;)

Was there ever a ballpark figure given on how much the solid state amp will go for?

There are at least two new tube designs coming .... I know because I have already have paid for them .... and picked the tubes. Again, completley new designs with different tube types, new chassis design and ultra high power. I POSSIBLY have a special version of the Extreme in the works too. Income tax return .... please come soon. ;)

Good thing i held on getting the Extreme.I kind of had a feeling that something else was going to show up.Still an Extreme sounds mighty good.

When you say"special" version of the Extreme i am going to assume that this is the part where to give tons of details so that us folks can begin the pre order :D

Guest sacd lover

Was there ever a ballpark figure given on how much the solid state amp will go for?

Good thing i held on getting the Extreme.I kind of had a feeling that something else was going to show up.Still an Extreme sounds mighty good.

When you say"special" version of the Extreme i am going to assume that this is the part where to give tons of details so that us folks can begin the pre order :D

The special version of the Extreme is an idea I am toying with. This amp may or may not end up a one off. I dont know the price of the SS amp for sure. But the cost will be lower and more affordable than the tube amps.

Guest sacd lover

From whats been hinted at it sounds like there may be an integrated amp on the way.

The ones I on order are not integrated amps ..... although one is more than powerful enough to drive efficient speakers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sacd lover

well, my dying iPod has taken an amp upgrade off the table for the time being. i think when i get around to an upgrade, i'm going to have a better PSU installed on my Slam. i am very much happy with how my system sounds, i'm not even sure why i want to upgrade. i guess i just want to buy myself something, as most of my money over the past couple months has gone to a goddam woman.

I have to say as I get more time on the Extreme I seem to be enjoying the sound more than ever. This amp is so versatile. Every headphone I have tried sounds their best or as good as their best. I am thinking about trying something new like a MS Pro or maybe the 701 :-\ again . The senn 580/ oehlbach and Alessandro MS2 sound awesome with this amp.

Guest sacd lover

It'll be nice to hear the Extreme in a couple of months. While I don't generally like tube amps that much, a lot of the qualities I've heard ascribed to the Extreme have me intrigued.

If you do make sure the amp is using a gain tube like a 2c51 or 6414 .... and try the amp with some grados. I know you like a brighter and faster sound. Those combos will be more in line with your personal preferances.