GCHA - Hmmm.... surprisingly unsatisfying

Nanoha

Just ranting aimlessly. :angel: So I have a GCHA now. At first it sounded exhillirating; the amazing soundstage that is. But after listening to it for a while, my music just sounds so slim and uninspiring. I'm sort of a quiet listener, but it still sounds lean even when I turn up the volume. Maybe I'm just realizing the true nature of the K701 I'm using. (I also purchased the K701 recently and haven't tried it out of an amp other than the GCHA before.) Maybe I should have gone with a tube amplifier in the end after all despite having always thought I was a SS guy myself (high speed and punch). Female vocals are totally dry but I guess that is expected from a SS amp. However, I have yet to hear any punch with the GCHA though I remember someone told me last year that the GCHA packed a heavy mid-bass kick. Heck, my 2ndG Nano (which supposedly doesn't have a strong bass) packs fuller mids and a heavier bass punch. Of course there is the issue of my source (using that built-in DAC or my Fubar II, both of which are Burr Brown 2702's.). I wonder if the Burr Brown 2702 isn't a strong performer in terms of bass.

I have a feeling the GCHA might pair quite well with something mellower like the HD650. I need to find someone with a HD580/600/650 on campus sometime.

I remember there are some past GCHA owners around here. Any thoughts? :D

If I had random cash lying around, I would send this somewhere for modding. >:D

My HP-2s sounded OK on Rhydon's GCHA... even and well-controlled, but I thought it was missing the richness, depth, and dynamics of my Headsave Classic. Give it some more time to burn in, and test it on other sources. I found that the burned-in K701 wasn't a particularly lively or impactful set of cans... neutral overall, but missing exactly the kind of kick you're describing.

I didn't test the K701's on the GCHA, but they couldn't rock out on other amps either, in my opinion. It just wasn't happening, kind of like my experience with my old Sennheisers. You keep reaching out, but you never touch it (Aerius, stop thinking it).

I'm curious about how a set of PS-1s would sound on the GCHA or my amp.

:-\

It seems like the K701 is as you guys have described. It's dry and quite neutral with no real sonic flaws. It's just that it's really dry and there is that slight upper mids peak. I don't know anyone with a HD650 around, but I'll try out the AD2000 with the GCHA sometime later this week.

And if a Headsave Classic beats the GCHA in terms of richness, depth, and dynamics... ahhhhhh...! :angel:

To me the K701 & GCHA are both on the dry & sterile side, and the problems with both would combine to give the issues you're having. The K701 is already a sterile sounding headphone which lacks dynamics & weight, it will not do bass slam unless you turn on the bass boost button on your music player or crank it up to some obscene volume, and even with the full & rich sounding RCA grey glass 6SN7 tubes it still doesn't have midrange life & tone. The GCHA is kinda like a "studio sound" headphone amp, it's "accurate, flat, and neutral" and does the "hi-fi tricks" but it doesn't have the fullness & tone of a good tube amp. Put the two together and you get the worst of both, call it negative synergy or whatever.

I'm guessing that of current production 'phones, the Senn 650 would probably be the best match for the amp. It should clean up some of the 650's bloatedness and add some crispness & extension to the treble.

It's a subtle sound distinction between the two amps - I think both are chip-based. Unfortunately, Norm isn't really making the Classic any more, but he must have some of the parts and circuit boards lying around... with the improvements he's made in the Go-Vibe series, one can only imagine what he could do with a home-based amp design >:D

I doubt the Classic would completely change the character of your K701s, though... I did try GlendaleViper's set on my Classic and portable source, and couldn't get it to rock out on the guitars and drums like the HP2s (on Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend). It was actually kind of surprising - I turned the volume up, but it just made things louder, not more distinct. I really did want to like the K701s, but I've been listening to Grados for more than 3 years now. Before that, I spent 9 years listening to my Sennheisers.

Best of luck on your new setup - don't let my listening preferences get you down. I think that the K701s have a lot of potential, but they haven't met their match yet. A really fast, slightly forward source or amp might complement the AKG's strengths. They don't seem to be the kind of cans that like to get down and dirty, however. Wes Phillips of Stereophile seems to be a big fan of the K701s.