Vinyl, it even makes Senns not suck

aerius

So basically my parents' Dual 721 turntable is mine along the classic Shure V15 type III cartridge. I don't even have a proper phonostage so I just plugged it into the phono inputs of my pawn shop special Technics receiver and put my Senn 580 right into its headphone out. It's a ghetto setup if there ever was one.

Shockingly, my Senns don't suck anymore, they actually sound pretty good. Yeah there's still a bit of 3-blob effect in the soundstage and the imaging is still fuzzy compared to my K340, but the veil & sulky midrange is pretty much gone. The damn thing can actually do tone and rock out, a Senn with groove, who the fuck would've thought? Playing the live version of "Duke of Earl" by The Nylons is a trip, they groove and they jive, and carry a mean rhythm. So now I actually have a use for my Senns besides listening to MP3's on my computer.

Next I plugged my K340's into the system, I got more betterness but there wasn't enough bass. Technics in their wisdom provided a handy knob for cranking up the bass, so I did, and all was good with the world. It turns out my K340 is also a hell of a lot better than I thought it was, I thought the soundstage layering & imaging was good before, now it's more like K1000 soundstage with all the K340 goodness and bass slam. Currently playing "Life's Rich Pageant" by R.E.M. which I've heard on CD countless times, but not like this, the LP squashes the CD like a grape.

It's ridiculous, I could buy the setup I'm listening to at the pawn shops for maybe 200-300 bucks and it murders my custom built & modded CDP & tube amp rig. Fuck this shit, I'm not typing anymore, I'm breaking out the rest of my LP's.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah it was Todd's Music Hall MMF-5.

I've been looking for a TT for ages, and didn't want to deal with the perils of shipping. Thanks for the thought Nate :)

If you find yourself enjoying it, I recommend you pick up a record cleaning machine. It has worked wonders for me, particularly on brand new records, which apparently need a good cleaning when you first get them.

I still think CD is a good format, but I have had a hell of a lot of fun listening to vinyl. :)

If you find yourself enjoying it, I recommend you pick up a record cleaning machine. It has worked wonders for me, particularly on brand new records, which apparently need a good cleaning when you first get them.

I still think CD is a good format, but I have had a hell of a lot of fun listening to vinyl. :)

I might remember you asking about this at the SH forums, which one are you using?

I think before the record cleaning machine, I'll be needing a phono-stage :laugh:

I might remember you asking about this at the SH forums, which one are you using?

I think before the record cleaning machine, I'll be needing a phono-stage :laugh:

Nah, get the RCM first. All that mumbo jumbo about the RIAA correction is a load of audiophile baloney. IMO, a phono stage will only dirty up the purity of the signal. ;)

I went with the Nitty Gritty Record Doctor III. Its really easy to operate, just apply the fluid, spread it with the brush, flip the record over, turn on the vacuum, and turn the record slowly 3-5 rotations. A side effect no one mentioned I've gotten from the record cleaning machine is a pleasant, clean smell fills the room after I use it. Not sure exactly what causes this. :)