Is it possible to remove a grado driver and leave the cup intact?

sbelyo

Is it possible to remove a grado driver and leave the cup intact?

I want to remove some drivers from their plastic housings without cutting up the housing.

I watched the grado assembly video on their site and they just pop in the front and are secured with a little CA I'm guessing.  My though was to cut out as much of the driver as I could, then soak it face down in acetone.

What do you think?

I have removed SR-60 drivers, but destroyed parts of the outer housing in the process. Have you ever seen someone have a cast removed? Cut a few slits (not quite as deep as the driver) along the shell, and then it just peels off. A little glue must be dealt with, but it is easy enough. 

I have also removed RS-2 drivers, without destroying housing or driver (woot!) but it was a LOT of work. This is harder. You need to get a tool between the wood and the driver, and work it around. Big pain in the butt. I assume a similar technique could be used with the plastic grados. 

Whatever you do, DO NOT use acetone or any other solvent. There is No telling what that will dissolve. 

I've taken apart a HF-1 and had to use a hot air gun to soften the hot glue they use to hold things together.  The key is using the heat gun enough to soften the glue but not melt everything else.

Sudden flashbacks....

Edited by Duggeh

• 1 month later...

I did successfully remove two drivers from their housings without damaging the plastic housing.  Of course the drivers came out in pieces but I had no intentions of saving them as they were bad

I tried two ways.

first way was drilling 1/8" holes from the back side around the perimeter of the driver.  Then you flip it over and work a small screw driver into the holes.  They pry up against the outside rim of the shell and the glue breaks loose.  I did have to work at it a bit but it comes out.

second way was cleaner but more time consuming.  Took a small 1/8" router bit and chucked it up in a dremel.  At slow speed go around the perimeter of the driver from the top and mill away the plastic all the way around.  Then from the back just work at it with a screw driver and light taps from a hammer

Both ways required a little clean up to get the small pieces and a few small gouges left by the screw driver 

Edited by sbelyo