Dynamic to Electrostatic Headphone Converter

Has anyone built a high quality transformer / convertor to run Stax headphones out of the speaker terminals of a power amplifier?

I know there has been some negatives about the Woo Wee. I am thinking is there a much higher quality option that can compete with the KG Stat amplifiers and that is safe i.e. won't damage the headphones or the power amplifier feeding the converter. Many years ago I used an SRD-7 which was ok, nothing great.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Nope, but what transformer adaptors can offer is large volume headroom (depending on the amplifier back end it is driven from) but at the loss of some bit of detail, roll off compared to even a Stax amplifier (so the difference is fairly substantial compared to a KGSS and up).

OR...

You can be a complete moron and buy eric65's shilled to no end Audiovalve Verto.

Edited by DefQon

I've actually heard the Mal Valve last Spring at another head-fier's house and to my surprise was well made from eye view and sounded quite good with the 009 and 007's we tried. Think KGSSHV sound but a tad bit sweeter with the 009 and tad bit meatier with the O2 MK1's. It drove the HD800's well too but lacked a bit of upper register clarity with the the orthos I brought over. 

I would even think Birgir and Kevin would commend a few points the Mal Valve is able to deliver if they had a listen and play with one.

Well the Malvalve doesn't really fall under this as it takes the electrostatic output directly from the plates.  Dynamics are then driven through the transformers.  This dates back to the 50's so nothing new there.  I'm a bit surprised nobody has done it before as this is a really, really cheap way of doing electrostatic output.  All you need is some relays and caps. 

My main issue here is that the 6V6 is absolutely dreadful for this role.  Seriously, they couldn't have picked a worse tube for this.  Roughly 300V max rating so yeah... 

Well aside from whatever and whenever Guttenberg says something is the best which I tend to ignore, the Mal Valve ain't that bad, but is on the pricey side and the input and outputs are all on the backside.

Edited by DefQon

Nope......    

Calling something the best EVER when he hasn't heard all the main contenders speaks of smug and brash elitism.

He da man and if he makes the call, all we lesser mortals need to bow at his sonic altar of knowledge.......