Do you yearn for a simpler time?

Ben Gramain

In my case,

Before I automatically started ordering an isolation platform with any disc player.

Before I lined up several portables in a level-matched (to sub-0.5dbs), blind-switch test. After all, if you're going to do it, you might as well do it properly unlike the fanboys.

Before I could quite breezily say spending $10K on a used headphone was not entirely unjustifiable.

Before I knew what word clocks were.

Before Geekophilia.

I think I might finally be approaching that phase.

Yes, I used to be able to enjoy music without even thinking about the veil. But the bell cannot be unrung.

And I have to admit to feeling a certain thrill when I hear something reproduced particularly well. I remember two such incidents -- one was at Hirsch's place, he played me that Weavers Live at Carnegie Hall, and that was the first time I heard "you are there" imaging. The second was prior to that, when I thought they had a live musician playing in the next room at Deja Vu Audio (in their old location). It was a recording. Every time I break through a wall, I get a similar kind of thrill. So no, not entirely do I wish that.

Before I could quite breezily say spending $10K on a used headphone was not entirely unjustifiable.

So, I've been thinking about this line for the past few minutes.

What?! >:D Which headphone demands such a price?

I don't think I've ever seen a headphone on it's own sold for that money although I've heard rumors of the R10 changing hands for about $10K. The closest I actually recall having seen with my own eyes was an Orpheus going for $11K+ a while back but that did include the HEV90 amp too.

The phone + amp is in my sig. Should be pretty obvious really what it is.

I just get the feeling I'm unnecessarily complicating things where there are no concrete benefits. I guess I've started to lose the certain degree of self-delusion necessary to sustain a certain level of audiophilia.