Balanced Beta 22

thrice

I'm also using the balanced Beta22 but I prefer the dual 3-pin XLR connectors because it is the Headroom standard:

At meets all the other balanced amps will be dual 3-pin, so for me it is more logical. BTW I really HATE the stock shoelace cable, so I made a new cable and installed it. Only took about 10 minutes and $20.

Nice recable. I prefer the 4-pin XLR...it's far more efficient and since I build my own amps I'd rather have that. I have a 4-pin to dual 3-pin xlr adapter cable so I can use my 4-pin xlr headphones at meets. I also have a 4-pin xlr to 1/8-1/4 adapter so I can use them single-ended as well. Since I spend more time at home than at meets the adapters work out just fine.

Hey, can someone explain to me in kind of layman's terms what makes the Beta 22 so awesome? When I say kind of layman's terms I mean I have a basic understanding of things like output impedance and wattage etc.

I'm just not a DIY'er or anything, all I know is suddenly everyone is building these deuce deuces and saying they are the bee's knees. :)

Hey, can someone explain to me in kind of layman's terms what makes the Beta 22 so awesome? When I say kind of layman's terms I mean I have a basic understanding of things like output impedance and wattage etc.

I'm just not a DIY'er or anything, all I know is suddenly everyone is building these deuce deuces and saying they are the bee's knees. :)

everyone has their own theories. in measurement terms, i think it is the low transient intermodulation distortion (not the same as intermodulation distortion) obtained from the high slew rate, so that the sound is very accurate in the time domain. i think it is responsible for the punchiness, warmth, speed, transparency, and soundstage. it measures well in other aspects too, like output impedance, harmonic distortion, wattage, but i don't beleive those are what sets it apart.

I'm using Goldpoint SA taken from other projects long gone. The estimated parts cost is about $1200-1500ish, I'm not sure I haven't been keeping track on this particular project, plus some of it is stuff I had on hand.

Reterminating the D5000 was cake...but I think I'm going to get some Mogami cable and recable them too. Apparently it's pretty good cable....

I'm using Goldpoint SA taken from other projects long gone. The estimated parts cost is about $1200-1500ish, I'm not sure I haven't been keeping track on this particular project, plus some of it is stuff I had on hand.

Reterminating the D5000 was cake...but I think I'm going to get some Mogami cable and recable them too. Apparently it's pretty good cable....

i used Mogami for my balanced K701s, and it is very good cable. it should work well with Denons also.

Just in case anyone didn't see this elsewhere: I'm currently running a group buy for the e22 backplane pcb's that can be used with a beta build. See Headwize or "that other headphone site" if you'd like more info.

And I'd third the recommendation of the Mogami cable, I've used it for all my current interconnects as well as a few recables and have no complaints. Well, it is a bit stiff for headphone cable but strip the jacket and shield and it works ok.