Watches

Dusty Chalk

Omega dealers tend to be very accommodating. I got a free pin bar tool, pin bars, one of those nice trays they put the watch on when they pull it from the case, pens, etc.

I can't really compare them to my local Rolex AD in that regard because I've bought 4 Omegas, but I have never bought a Rolex from my local AD because they never discount much and now not at all. Next time that will change because grey market Rolex is now higher than retail.. if they ever call me back about the new Batman or the skydweller I'm on the list for.

Thanks for the pointers guys. I have never been to an Omega AD with the intention to purchase..never even really visited one just to browse. Time to do so. 

On another note, i hardly see pre-owned Omegas with the grey market/pre-owned dealers. Maybe not as popular in demand as compared to Rolex and APs

They make about as many watches a year as Rolex but there is a lot of market to market variation in demand. One of my favorite watches from them is not popular at all in the USA but is very popular in Asia. 

What ever you do end up buying just make sure it's because you love the watch not because of a deal. No matter the price any watch is waste of money if it's not the one you truly want.

Also if you want the best price out up of a dealer, at least in my country never talk price or discounts unless you are ready to buy at that moment. If they go down to what you ask and you don't buy, good luck in the future.

If you're clear you're just browsing and still trying to make your mind up or continue to save they should be more than accommodating and jump at the opportunity to give you info and let you try things on.

Also all these dealers typically know each other and talk between themselves.

• Like 1

Good advice there. Hence I've not asked about prices when merely browsing. Truth be told, I've not found a piece that I truly want to own. Well, except maybe an Explorer II but I've only seen black dials at pre owned dealers. Polar dials must be all the rage now that none have come up for sale, yet. At least in my part of the world. The search continues I suppose. 

3 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Good advice there. Hence I've not asked about prices when merely browsing. Truth be told, I've not found a piece that I truly want to own. Well, except maybe an Explorer II but I've only seen black dials at pre owned dealers. Polar dials must be all the rage now that none have come up for sale, yet. At least in my part of the world. The search continues I suppose. 

If you get an Explorer 2, you want the Polar dial, which makes the black dials a bargain! :)  But Seawolf is right: there is no point unless it's a watch you really want. 

Have you looked at the Tudor Pelagos?

Yea pelagos is a good option. I think they do both the black and blue in titanium.

IDK what grade of titanium they use though.

They also use ceramics in some models, bronze and PVD coated steel.

Edit :: oh, and the dssd aside Tudor has better clasps. And other than Rolex models with the updated movements, Tudor has better movements. It's quite frustrating. No way I would buy a sub until Rolex gets off it's ass.

Edited by SeaWolf
Addition

20 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

If you get an Explorer 2, you want the Polar dial, which makes the black dials a bargain! :)  But Seawolf is right: there is no point unless it's a watch you really want. 

Have you looked at the Tudor Pelagos?

Indeed..have wanted a Rolex but i prefer something dressier. I thought of an OP but it was too simple for my taste and the price regardless the brand and movement within.

Pelagos not so much but the 2019 BB Bronze gets my vote. It looks really good in a strap!

17 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Yea pelagos is a good option. I think they do both the black and blue in titanium.

IDK what grade of titanium they use though.

They also use ceramics in some models, bronze and PVD coated steel.

Edit :: oh, and the dssd aside Tudor has better clasps. And other than Rolex models with the updated movements, Tudor has better movements. It's quite frustrating. No way I would buy a sub until Rolex gets off it's ass.

Tudor has a good price/value ratio and their BB range looks handsome too.

9 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I wouldn't buy one anyway, unless you want the same watch as everybody else in Business Class. A vintage one, sure.

Hahaha..valid point there. It's becoming too common. 

I'm looking at a pre-owned 2017 Omega Speedy '57 Co-axial 41.5mm in a strap. I think it looks handsome. There's one for sale locally at about US$4,300. What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, SeaWolf said:

Speedys are nice, just be aware that most are 50m water resistance. It's splash proof for sure but nothing more than that. If this is a collection of one that should be noted.

The big issues is the pusher gaskets.  People do take them diving, but accidentally activating the pushers while underwater will let water into the watch.

Edited by EdipisReks1

1 hour ago, EdipisReks1 said:

The Speedy '57 is a great looking watch. I don't know if that is a fair price (I haven't been in the Speedy market, lately!), but if it is, I'd go for it.

Yes, love the broad arrow hands. That really catches my eye as compared to the pencil hands on the regular Speedies.

2 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

The big issues is the pusher gaskets.  People do take them diving, but accidentally activating the pushers while underwater will let water into the watch.

Note taken. I was impressed that the Tudor BB Chrono has screw-in pushers. Does the Daytona have a similar type as well?

Yes the Daytona uses screw in pushers, but there is no value in buying Daytona's. All trade for premium even older models.

A two tone with a zenith movement would likely be your cheapest entry point. However your not going to find that in anything other than broken and beat to hell condition for less than 9k US.

41 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

Yes the Daytona uses screw in pushers, but there is no value in buying Daytona's. All trade for premium even older models.

Well, depending on the older model, especially older models. ;)

1 hour ago, Rossliew said:

Note taken. I was impressed that the Tudor BB Chrono has screw-in pushers. Does the Daytona have a similar type as well?

I owned a Tudor Big Block.  The screw-in pushers were my second-least favorite aspect of that watch. It's not worth the irritation if you aren't gonna take the thing diving. I've never accidentally activated a pusher on a Speedy.

Edited by EdipisReks1

1 hour ago, EdipisReks1 said:

I owned a Tudor Big Block.  The screw-in pushers were my second-least favorite aspect of that watch. It's not worth the irritation if you aren't gonna take the thing diving. I've never accidentally activated a pusher on a Speedy.

Fair point that. I don't even swim, much less dive. So a diver on the wrist is kinda ironic. But i like the lume on divers hahaha

The whole concept of luxury tool watches is an oxymoron IMO. I don't love them any less.

Your not likely to use your chronograph to calculate the speed of a car across a marked mile.

Hell I took my dssd diving, it didn't make me less annoyed by it's height.

Just because you won't use it for it's designed function doesn't mean you should write off an entire category of watches. You maybe struck by something you were not expecting.