AKG K340 modding thread

deepak

Starting up the K340 modding thread so anyone that has modded them could offer advice, impressions on how they sound, etc can do so.

I'm looking to recable one of my pairs to a 4 pin male XLR, replace the elastics, replace the grill with some other fabric and replace the earpads with velour ones.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for starters I have to say that I'm against the screen mod, and as far as I can tell I'm the only one. I've made a replacement screen assembly out of sheet aluminum, cardboard, plastic, and various types fabric & foam. I haven't like any of the results. Yes it can be a more open and extended sound in the treble, but I found it did bad things to the overall tonal quality and sometimes the imaging as well. The headphone ends up sounding "whiter" and somewhat "washed out", and ultimately I found this fatiguing. To me it just ain't worth it, the original screen works just fine as far as I'm concerned and strikes the best balance for overall sound.

I'm really interested to dig into my 340s. After listening for a couple of hours last night I have to say that this experience with them is going considerably different than my previous one. The first pair of 340s that I had were recabled with Silver Dragon but that was it. I'm wondering if more has been done to this second pair (also recabled, at a minimum) since they sound significantly different from the first pair.

I'm really interested to dig into my 340s. After listening for a couple of hours last night I have to say that this experience with them is going considerably different than my previous one. The first pair of 340s that I had were recabled with Silver Dragon but that was it. I'm wondering if more has been done to this second pair (also recabled, at a minimum) since they sound significantly different from the first pair.

Do you know which version yours are?

Does anyone know what size elastics they use?

Hair elastics. Find some that are the same diameter or just slightly larger. Pull the original elastics out of the original plastic holder. With a sharp hobby knife cut the plastic, length wise, along the hole where the original elastics were (I cut where the plastic was thinner). Cut the hair elastic in half so it's a straight piece and knot the ends. Do this to two elastics at the same time so they are the same length. Adjust the length to adjust the tension. Slide the elastic into the slits you just made on the plastic holder, the knots over the top. You're done except if you need to adjust the tension.

Renato

Do you know which version yours are?

I don't, nor to a really believe that there are two unique versions of the K340s. Do different ones sound different, sure, but I'm not sure it's a black and white difference. Also, I don't think that mine has any sort of screen mod done and the highs sound fine to me, of course I lean toward the Senn side of the spectrum so that may just be my preference. I'll try to take some decent pics this weekend and post them up.

There are subtle differences between both my pairs and I'm not entirely sure what versions they are. One of the pairs clearly has just as much bass as the HD650. The other probably closer to HD580/HD600 bass. Other than that they sound pretty much identical. Doing some searching it seems Scunci elastics are suitable replacements.

• 2 weeks later...

Received jpak's old K340 today:

k340004yx8.jpg

Been listening to it all night, across a variety of genres. This is certainly a unique headphone, and I can see how with a bit of tweaking, it could become somebody's reference phone. Everything sounds "right", from top to bottom, and with the Dynahi I don't feel like its lacking any juice (though I literally have the volume at maximum right now listening to MFSL "The Wall"). The midrange is nice and sweet, the highs are extended, but maybe mildly offensive. I do wish there was more bass impact, across the entire lower spectrum. Certain drums kick with ferocity! But it is only a very specific midbass note that seems to give me that bass satisfaction. Some more "kick" across the full drum kit would definitely be wonderful, and elevate this can to super fun time for me.

So what impact do Larry's mods have on the overall sound of the K340? Is it possible I could get that fuller bass I'm after?

Congrats on the new phones man, since it's pretty likely that these phones were ignored by Jpak you might want to give the electrets some time to charge up. I think someone once told me that it can take an hour or more for them to get back up to proper operating levels but I don't really know if there's much truth in that. Can't hurt though, right?

I think I put an hour or so on them before mailing them to Jack just to make sure they worked fine.

Glad to hear that you like them. Strange that you don't have much headroom on your Dynahi, my former M3 was able to drive them fine at 11 o'clock position and my source is standard 2 v output.

I think you'll really like them with classical music that is really dynamic.

The midrange is nice and sweet, the highs are extended, but maybe mildly offensive. I do wish there was more bass impact, across the entire lower spectrum. Certain drums kick with ferocity! But it is only a very specific midbass note that seems to give me that bass satisfaction. Some more "kick" across the full drum kit would definitely be wonderful, and elevate this can to super fun time for me.

So what impact do Larry's mods have on the overall sound of the K340? Is it possible I could get that fuller bass I'm after?

I've done Larry's mods to my stock pair, in short, it tightens up the bass, takes away some of the fullness and trades it for more treble extension, detail, and soundstaging. In your case, I think that would be going in the wrong direction.

I'm assuming you have a completely stock pair and nothing has been tampered with, you or jpack can correct me if I'm wrong. First step, open them up and pull out all the old cotton stuffing, it's probably all packed down and compacted, not the best thing to have. But don't throw it away yet. Then take a few balls of cotton and unroll them into strips, as shown in the picture below.

cotton.jpg

Put a couple layers in each cup, put the headphone back together, and listen. Is it better or worse? As a general rule, more cotton, up to a point, will take the edge off the treble and add fullness to the bass, after that point it starts sucking the life out of the music without really doing much. Adjust the amount of cotton until you feel you have the best sound. That'll give you something to play with for a few days. You may find that the original cotton is best, which is why I said to save it, just in case. Unlikely, but possible.

It may not be possible to get a balance that you're 100% happy with, that's fine, as there are other tools available for tweaking the sound.

nonono, you need TURN tha'shit up B! [Yeah, I can't really do it]

Seriously though, I used to think they only sounded good loud, and still like them that way for certain music... but since my amp has been finished and I got the zapfilter installed I find I have been listening at a lower volume, though I'm sure aerius would still think it is too loud. :)

nonono, you need TURN tha'shit up B! [Yeah, I can't really do it]

Seriously though, I used to think they only sounded good loud, and still like them that way for certain music... but since my amp has been finished and I got the zapfilter installed I find I have been listening at a lower volume, though I'm sure aerius would still think it is too loud. :)

of course, one man's loud is another man's quiet is another man's earsplitting, so its silly for me to speak in these terms. ;D