Avantgarde Duo 2.1, vinyl, good music

deepak

Anyway, I'm not invested in this debate, I really don't give a shit if people keep buying records. It's good that people are making good masters. But people are making good cds too. And I basically have no interest in anything that is on vinyl and never got released on cd.
Yeah, really. If they ever stopped making CD's, I'd be dead.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm missing details on the recordings I'm listening to, I honestly don't care. When I listen critically, I'm pleased with the stuff I expect to be pleased by. The rest of the time, I listen to music because it's part of my life. With the money I'm willing to spend on audio, which is 10:1 music:gear, I'm more than happy with the quality I get. Listening to my recordings of gov't mule that I recorded myself with good mics, at 44/16, I am brought immediately back to the show. When I listen to rips from well recorded cds, I can place instruments, hear micro details, etc. So I'm satisfied. And honestly, I'd rather listen to a shitty recording of charlie parker, than anything Steve Hoffman has mastered anyway, so to me, it's not the details that matter, it's the magic in the music.

...it's not the details that matter, it's the magic in the music.
Well...yeah, but...kinda hard to argue with that...but my attitude towards gear has always been that the better the gear, the fewer the impediments to hearing it properly...but yeah, I've heard good music on some pretty shitty equipment and still managed to enjoy it. I mean, look at what I say over on Head-Fi every time someone says their equipment is boring: "try listening to more interesting music".

Yeah, I'm sure there's something in the SH catalog that would interest you, but I get your point, and agree completely.

besides, i'd much rather listen to Cannonball Adderly, or early Miles Davis Quartet or Stan Getz (all of which Hoffman has remastered) than Charlie Parker. i find Parker intensely boring, despite tracking down just about everything he ever recorded in an attempt to change my mind about his playing.

That's not to say Charlie Parker isn't part of required listening for any jazz fan. Who knows maybe it's only because I got into him in the last few years, but I still find his good live shows (like grawk mentioned Paris) to be supremely enjoyable.

i don't know, i've heard plenty of magical studio recordings. i'm heard plenty of magical live recordings, and i've heard plenty of magical live performances. i generally like good Jazz (especially late bebop early hard bop) in any form i can get it ;)

Recommendations for good studio recordings? This isn't calling you out, I just want to pick some up and hear them, as I mostly stick to buying (or sampling) live jazz.

Recommendations for good studio recordings? This isn't calling you out, I just want to pick some up and hear them, as I mostly stick to buying (or sampling) live jazz.

I hope you realize the how many things that encompasses!

A good start would be to get all of these. In addition to all those guys Reks recommended, look for anything by Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Sonny Rollins, Grant Green, or Rashaan Roland Kirk (who is probably my favorite jazz musician along with Miles). And I think he means the classic quintet, as there is no classic miles quartet that I know of. The second quintet (with shorter, hancock, etc) is also amazing.

This is another decent list, though alot of it is fusion.

just about anything dolphy, earlyish coltrane, sonny stitt, kenny burrell, bobby timmons, art blakey, jackie mclean, coleman hawkins, mingus and monk is going to be great. miles davis is really inconsistent, but i like the "classic quartet" stuff. Bill Evans later stuff is great, though i do prefer the Village Vanguard recordings... i love the Getz latin sides.

8) thanks

thanks hungych- I do have almost everything on the Masterpieces list. I'll check out the fusion list, though I'm not really into it.