HF-1 & MS2i comparison

riceboy

Hi Everyone. This is my first post regarding impressions between 2 cans. Please feel free to let me know any comments or suggestions :).

Equipment

Rega Planet - DAC1 - HD2 - Cans

Playlist:

Artist/Song

1. Jack Johnson - Better Together

2. Taj Mahal/Toumani Diabate - Queen Bee

3. Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven (unplugged)

4. Diana Krall Live - East of the Sun, West of the Moon

5. System of a Down - Chop Suey!

6. Jake Shimabukuro - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

a. Just a guy with his ukulele. He's one mad ukulele player :)

HF-1s with flat pads

1. The vocals were more upfront than the MS2i and the sound floated with more air. There was a noticeable bass response in the background opposed to the MS2i. It was a more on the stage experience, opposed to the MS2is being a little more laid back.

2. Vocals again upfront. Presentation is really upfront. The vocals are clearer on the HF-1s. I can hear the instrument detail a lot better than the MS2i.

3. I like this presentation more, where I can hear ever lick of the guitar really clear. Clapton's voice is very clean and clear. The separation of Clapton's vocals, background vocals, and his guitar is just as good, but of course it is more upfront and forward.

4. The bass player sounds great with the cymbals in the background. I felt the tone of the piano was good as well. HF-1s felt more involving and captured your attention more than the MS2i.

5. The HF-1s right off the bat had a lot more punch and kick to the drums and bass. It's interesting but the guitars didn't sound as clear as the MS2i. I did hear some things in the background that I didn't hear as clear in the MS2i though. The HF-1s really gets your rocking, while the MS2i really bring out all aspects of the song from vocals to instruments. HF-1s are really fun.

6. There was a sense of more air with every pluck and strum on his ukulele on the HF-1. It was easier on the MS2i to imagine his finger plucking the ukulele than the HF-1. I was pulled more in on the MS2i. But the HF-1 once again does have a sense of air around each strum.

MS2i with yellow pads

1. The vocals are more upfront with HF-1s and there is more detail that comes through with the guitar and cymbals in the background. Also, I felt there was cleaner bass response coming from the MS2i.

2. Presentation immediately sounds more laid back. Because of the laid back presentation the instrument and vocal separation made it easier to discern where everything is coming from. The highs are detailed, but the vocals seemed thinner. I'm guessing it's because it's more in the background and not upfront as the HF-1s.

3. Another presentation where I am 1 or 2 rows back from Clapton, but it still has a nice, warm intimate feeling. The separation of Clapton, the background singers, and his guitar is quite good.

4. Diana's voice is more in the background. I liked how the piano sounded on the MS2i a little more than the HF-1s. The bass was a little more tighter than the fuller bodied HF-1s. I could feel the bass guitar more on the HF-1s.

5. The vocals are great and I like how the MS2i keeps up with the fast pace of the guitars. The separation of guitars and other instruments are better on the MS2i. The vocals sound more clearer, where the vocals on the HF-1s don't sound as clear.

6. Every strum of his fingers hitting the ukulele strings are nicely articulated. It sounds like magic.

HF-1

It's a can that is fun and lively. It has good punch and kick with rock, and a nice air around the instruments because of the added bass response. The presentation is more upfront and on stage as the other Grados.

MS2i

Overall the presentation is more front row (1 or 2 seats back). The separation of instruments was more prevalent than the HF-1s, which made it easy for me to hear more detail. The range is more flat, with less of the usual Grado colorization, but sounds enjoyable. It's a really great can as well.

Thanks for you impressions, I'd just have to add that I've never been a fan of the HF-1s with flats, they sound fat and bloated to me that way. I much prefer them with bowls. While I've never heard the MS2i I have heard the 325 and 325i and preferred both of those cans with flats or reverse bowls. Did you try the HF-1s with anything other than the flats?

Thanks for you impressions, I'd just have to add that I've never been a fan of the HF-1s with flats, they sound fat and bloated to me that way. I much prefer them with bowls. While I've never heard the MS2i I have heard the 325 and 325i and preferred both of those cans with flats or reverse bowls. Did you try the HF-1s with anything other than the flats?

I did try the HF-1s with bowls before and I liked them. When time permits I'll try and listen again with the HF-1s and bowls and post some impressions up. Maybe I'll do one with HF-1s with bowls and MS2i with bowls.

"just bought an MS2 / throw some flats on that bitch"

:dance:

What he said. The flats really make these cans for me. I run across the occasional album that sounds better with bowls, but the flats have taken up almost permanent residence.

And thanks for the excellent comparison. I may have to keep my eyes open for HF-1's...

What he said. The flats really make these cans for me. I run across the occasional album that sounds better with bowls, but the flats have taken up almost permanent residence.

And thanks for the excellent comparison. I may have to keep my eyes open for HF-1's...

Thanks :). I'll give the flats a try and post some impressions later.