Airport Express or Squeezebox?

Salt Peanuts

Theres a 3rd option. Its a little more expensive than a squeezebox but it can do so much more. The Asus eee pc. Heres a pic I grabbed from google:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1338/1484629462_c49b385305.jpg

Anyway, it runs a modified (and simplified) version of linux. Its made to be a very small laptop (it has a 7 inch screen and 8gb of flash, no hard drive). It includes the wonderful amarok music player, which is superior to itunes in every respect.

Anyway, it doesn't have a digital out, but if your dac is USB it will be no problem. Or you can get something like the m-audio transit to feed your dac. Theres a thread on head-fi right now for using this thing as a transport.

Anyway, I'll have one in a couple weeks. I'll be using it as my transport. I'll let you all know how it works out.

• 4 months later...

If I have some time tonight I may give this a shot.

I've used Signal which does the same sort of thing. There is a lot of information somewhere on the Slim Devices forums regarding iPeng and Signal. They are both based on using playlists If I'm not Mistaken. Signal works with iTunes and an airport express (grawk used it i think). and iPeng works with the squeezebox.

If I have some time tonight I may give this a shot.

I'd be really interested in impressions, I haven't had much time to investigate it myself. I just got a Squeezebox Duet and at some point in time want to pick up a used iTouch to do remote comparisons between the plugin and the default Logitech remote. I might try the Airport Express/Signal thing too, although I think I want to stick to something for SB as a Modwright Transporter or APL DAC (now w/ integrated Duet) are my two source choices for when I build a home (not crappy dorm) speaker system a year or so from now.

In any case, iPod-style-remote = teh awesome. I hope.