Shanling CD3000 - Underwood mods?

pabbi1

Per the review, it is quite good: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/shanling5/3000.html

In the $2k range with basic mods, more for better mods http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1200364575, and another $400 to 'modify' the balanced outs.

I'm thinking of taking a shot on the stock (or mini-mods pkg) and roll some tubes.

Thoughts / experiences?

You know, back when the first spaceship landed (CD-T100?) -- I was immediately curious, just because of the looks (exposed tubes!). I never got a good gauge on whether or not they were liked or not. It's not just that the reactions were polarized, it's that they were all over the place.

That said, I'd only get it myself if I won the lottery -- going to try to stick to universal players.

I have heard a T100, and it was pretty good, but compared to my Sony ES-222, so not sure if it was a step up or not. Besides, it was over a year ago, so the memory fades - definitely was not an OMG, but it was also the first generation player, from which I believe they have come a long way. I spent a good time listening to both the T300 and T200, and both of them are definitely OMG, though who knows what tubes McManus had in them - something delicious no doubt, and certainly not the stock Chinese variants.

Those Parts Connexion mods seem to just involve changing parts and no redesigning.

Pretty much. Then again, that's what most mod companies do anyway since designing circuitry is beyond them. A couple blackgates here, a couple Auricaps there, some resistors & BB op-amps, and they hit you up for $600 or so.

Problem is very few people have the knowledge & equipment to redesign and fix the circuit right. Hell, how many of people have $15k HP spectrum analyzers to chase out all the noise down to the -100dB level and way out in the dozens of MHz range, and furthermore know how to use them?

Those Parts Connexion mods seem to just involve changing parts and no redesigning.

I guess it all depends on how much you like the stock player. If you like it quite a bit but cringe at the cheapo parts inside, you probably would be thrilled with Mod companies that just swap in better parts without trying to redesign the basic circuitry.

If you don't much care for the stock one, WHY on earth someone would pay $$$$ to mod heavens?

Having said that, the modders with best results with reasonable pricetags seem to be the ones who actually know circuit design and can give you real results without throwing a bathtub full of boutique parts at the circuit board :mikey2:

It takes real skill to come up with a new output stage and while swapping out a few parts is a positive change its far from cost effective. There is plenty of value built into these cheap Chinese players so it gets balanced out but bypassing the output stage might push the player up a level or two.

I guess it all depends on how much you like the stock player. If you like it quite a bit but cringe at the cheapo parts inside, you probably would be thrilled with Mod companies that just swap in better parts without trying to redesign the basic circuitry.

If you don't much care for the stock one, WHY on earth someone would pay $$$$ to mod heavens?

I _do_ cringe at cheap parts, and am willing to pay for better IFF it makes for a better platform. The Shanlings I have heard (all but the new CD5000 reference) sounded better than the zapped E5 (ok, pending memory crc), though I have no clue how close to 'stock' any of McManus's gear is. So, I am looking to see if anyone has traveled this route, or do I take a shot? Really leaning that way... unmodded, it looks like a $1200 ish adventure, less than the clusterfuck with McAlister.

I'd have a hard time shelling out cash for one of those types of mods... especially if I had built my own Blue Hawaii. :D

Yeah, but that was long before neuropathy has taken feelings from my fingertips down to my middle knuckles on both hands. Building DIY is now a past tense for me, and Alex (my guardian angel) has little interest in modding sources, or cleaning up my fuckups. And, who can blame him? :mikey1:

Yeah, but that was long before neuropathy has taken feelings from my fingertips down to my middle knuckles on both hands. Building DIY is now a past tense for me, and Alex (my guardian angel) has little interest in modding sources, or cleaning up my fuckups. And, who can blame him?
Sorry to hear that buddy. :(

Maybe a good DAC is the way to go then? At least then you know what you are getting.

Maybe a good DAC is the way to go then? At least then you know what you are getting.

That I would _except_ the E5 still skips once every two or three days - IFF only there were a better transport drop in. It is just annoying enough to remind me a better source is my next acquisition. This is, btw, my 3rd transport from Dr Art.

Would this be a good time to mention that my CD player is nearly 12 years old, still runs perfectly, and has yet to suffer a single glitch? ;D

My CD players are 19 years old and 26 years old, still run perfectly, and have yet to suffer a single glitch. I <3 it. :angel: