Joe Grado HPA-1

lupus

You should be psyched in this case but yeah, it does run contrary to way things normally go for you folks across the pond.

We are getting screwed constantly. >:( One nice thing this evening was that the post came with a package and I didn't have to pay anything... ;D I'm really digging my Stax Gamma Pro's

The RK40 is a very nice pot and I have a small stash here with me. It's a bit sad that my new source makes all volume controls redundant...

ok, i'll find Hirsch and maybe direct some of these questions to him. i did find one statement he made about the amp pairing very well with the HF-1, but no impressions with other Grados.

I can't remember that post. I don't think I owned the HPA-1 and HF-1 simultaneously, but this could be a memory fart.

I actually liked the HPA-1 with a variety of headphones, but time has overtaken the design. It won't hold a candle to something like the M^3.

IIRC, the RA-1 circuit is the HPA-1 circuit stripped to the bare essentials. The RA-1 has a very similar sound, but those stripped parts appeared to be responsible for the amp's smoothness, since the RA-1 had grain that simply wasn't present in the HPA-1. The boards of both are embedded in epoxy, so looking at the circuit can be destructive. Note that the posted photos appear to be of an HPA-2, which is exactly the same circuit as the HPA-1 according to Joe Grado, but he's been misleading before (the shield at the front is only present on the HPA-1, IIRC).

I can't remember that post. I don't think I owned the HPA-1 and HF-1 simultaneously, but this could be a memory fart.

I actually liked the HPA-1 with a variety of headphones, but time has overtaken the design. It won't hold a candle to something like the M^3.

IIRC, the RA-1 circuit is the HPA-1 circuit stripped to the bare essentials. The RA-1 has a very similar sound, but those stripped parts appeared to be responsible for the amp's smoothness, since the RA-1 had grain that simply wasn't present in the HPA-1. The boards of both are embedded in epoxy, so looking at the circuit can be destructive. Note that the posted photos appear to be of an HPA-2, which is exactly the same circuit as the HPA-1 according to Joe Grado, but he's been misleading before (the shield at the front is only present on the HPA-1, IIRC).

thanks for the updated information...if the M^3 is that much better, i will probably steer away from the HPA-1.

regarding your past comments about the HF-1/ HPA-1 pairing, i believe you said something to the effect that you were selling your HPA-1, but before letting it go you tested it with the HF-1 and liked it almost to the point of regretting the HPA-1 sale. that could be me getting something mixed up, though.