Speaker n00b seeks advice (building b22 as speaker amp)

fierce_freak

I've decided to put together a B22 as speaker amp, but when it comes to speakers, I'm pretty clueless. I'm building it single-ended, so I can expect 18wpc. That seems wimpy compared to a lot of other amps, but the math, from what I can tell, says that should be enough for reasonably efficient speakers in a medium sized room. What kind of speakers am I looking at with this kind of power?

If you have access to wood tools you can build a basic one with fostex drivers. Stuff like the BIB is cool, and if you don't have the tools you can always try to get others to help. n_mahler is building a cicada so maybe talk to him about it. phergu_25 on headfi has neat pair he's built and is most likely finished now that runs on this tube amp that has similar output to the se beta. Pm him for pics and stuff.

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIY.html has a bunch of ideas

Dulcets have issues, way too coloured and do bad things to acoustic guitars, MM deCapos are nice but I'd rather save up for Living Voice Avatars. The carbon driver in the deCapo can get a little wonky if pushed, and bass just doesn't have enough weight & dynamics. Haven't heard the rest of their lineup yet.

Dulcets have issues, way too coloured and do bad things to acoustic guitars, MM deCapos are nice but I'd rather save up for Living Voice Avatars. The carbon driver in the deCapo can get a little wonky if pushed, and bass just doesn't have enough weight & dynamics. Haven't heard the rest of their lineup yet.
(a) The Suprema's are supposed to be nice; (B) I think they're still worth a listen. I don't know too many high-efficiency loudspeakers that like being pushed -- that's not their forte. They like to be driven well at reasonable volumes. I've never heard someone describing any high-efficiency speaker as, for example, "rock and roll".

Except maybe JBL's.