Quad 11L2

postjack

Hey Speaker Kids:

Don't I remember reading that the *L2 series of Quad speakers got worse reviews then their previous L series?

Reason I ask is there are these demos for sale on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1206234899

I could put this on my desk next to my monitor, and power them off the other speaker outs on my 840A. But if my memory serves me, I'd be better off waiting for a regular 11L (or 12L if I want to go active).

I've read that they weren't as nice in a few places too. The tweeter change seems to the be the root of most complaints, getting rip for being to harsh/bright/strident/grainy/insert your phrase of choice.

The original L can be a little on the bright side for my liking in the first place depending on how much toe-in you use. Monitor style facing straight in didn't do it for me.

I also think that the protruding feet on the L2 floorstanders ruin the look, and I'm not as keen on the not as gloss a bit more real wood finish.

So I ended up springing for these. For about the cost of an RS-1 it seems like a good deal to me, and I'll end up having to sell one of my RS-1s to reimburse myself.

Now I just need to decide how I'm going to integrate them into my system. Best bet is probably to run them from the preamp outs on the 840A.

They have input attenuators ("volume control"), but you'll find it easier to control from a preamp, yes. Especially if you go back and forth between normally mastered CD's (50%-100% capacity) and MFSL CD's (40-50% capacity -- of the few that I ripped, it seemed like every single one never used the most significant bit).