Grado/Senn/AKG question

bjw

Ok, I know this is probably a "personal preference" type thing, but I am looking to buy my first real pair of headphones sometime soon. I have always used IEMs and am currently using se530's, which I love, it is just too hard to keep taking them and back out everytime someone at work (or at home) comes over to talk about something.

I don't have a budget, but I'd probably try to stay in the 200$ or below range. I'll be using iPod->portaphile/pico or macbook pro->pico as a source. I listen to a huge range of music, but love live music and want to feel like I am on stage with them :)

So.. to my question.. what are the differences in sound between the grado sr60/80/225? I have heard that these headphones are overly bright and lack bass - which I find fatiquing. What about the Senn 580's/650's? What are their characteristics?

Basically just looking for good deal options and any advice people can steer me to. Not being able to try out a huge selection of them makes it hard to know.

Thanks guys :)

I haven't heard the 60s and 80s. The 225s with flats aren't fatiguing or bright, and definitely don't lack bass. They're my favorite can under $200, and can be had for $150ish used.

I concur with grawk. Most used 225s won't come with flats though, so keep in mind you may have to pay another $30 for those. Or you may find the bowls are acceptable.

w000000t! Sold some camera gear on eBay and got way more than I anticipated getting for it. I'll have enough for new cans and not have to dip into my bank account. I am psyched.

I am leaning towards the 225's, but I am curious how AKG 701's stack up in comparison? (nobody mentioned them so far)

PS: I love this site! It has so much more of a laid back feeling compared to others... plus it isn't blocked by my work's proxy :) I just wish it was more active (yes, I am bored at work all the time and find myself refreshing faster than you guys post!)

My opinion is that the K701s are completely boring. They do absolutely nothing wrong, but they don't do anything particularly right. So if "perfect" is what you look for, then they might be right for you.

The SR225s are among my favorite cans. Throw some flat pads on them, give them a nice high current amp, and they sound great.

no link for the lazy (me)? heh, ok, I'll find it tomorrow at work and poke through it.

Is there a way to determine how many other people are from STL on this forum? I'd love to organize some sort of meet in my area (I haven't heard of one, but could have just missed it on hfi or something).

Is there a way to determine how many other people are from STL on this forum? I'd love to organize some sort of meet in my area (I haven't heard of one, but could have just missed it on hfi or something).

I'm from St Louis. Lived there for almost 3 months in 1970. :)

heh, don't get me started on Nelly or St. Louis. I wouldn't be here if I could convince the boss.. err, wife, to move. She has this thing about being close to her family or something. Bleh.

Anyway, trying to make the best of it :)

heh, don't get me started on Nelly or St. Louis. I wouldn't be here if I could convince the boss.. err, wife, to move. She has this thing about being close to her family or something. Bleh.

Anyway, trying to make the best of it :)

Hah, my boss wanted to move away from her brood. :laugh:

since you like the 530s, you'll probably like Senn 650s.

Yup, I agree, but if you're going to start looking into higher-end headphones, you can't think only about the headphones, but about your rig as a whole. If you're looking at the 650s, for example, you need to think about an amp, and you need to consider the quality of the music you listen to as well as your source. Other headphones might be a better choice depending on what else you have and/or are planning.

Sources include my macbook and my ipod, currently using an original portaphile v2 (the one before the maxxed one came out). I am in line for a pico though.... I hope, Justin needs to update the pre-order list! :)

Which of the headphones mentioned can't be driven by such portable mechanisms.

(thanks for all of the advice btw)