Official Head-Case Essential Jazz Albums Thread

thrice

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have that. I have all the box sets.

Your a lucky man to have all those box sets! I missed out on them. I'd love to remaster those for the fun of it. :)

I love Miles Davis and would highly recommend Kind of Blue, Birth of The Cool and Miles Ahead. Awesome albums.

Here is one I recently remastered which has been getting a lot of play:

B000002AH9.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Not for everyone but I think it's an awesome album - especially when your alone at night.

What do you mean, 'missed out' -- aren't they all still in print? You can't necessarily get the metal boxes like I got, but you can still get them in the taller thinner size, neh?

I know but they are hard to find at the local stores. Plus - I wanted the metal boxes. :(

I guess I'm going to have to track down all the long-box sets.

2554061671_d0a355a2f1.jpg?v=0

In addition to being just a great all around disc, I always notice the bass on this. Its just aces.

2657183776_7b8a719703.jpg?v=0

This is a really interesting one. Lots of percussion, vibes, and misc. stuff peppered throughout. Probably my favorite vibes I've heard, at least from my limited exposure to them.

2674696713_a081a34b81.jpg?v=0

While I've enjoyed all the GG I've heard, this one has that extra something to it. Great interplay, especially between Green's rhythmic guitar lines and Tyner's staccato piano leads. It really cooks, but in a calm and confident manner. The way they exchange roles is great, and GG ends up playing plenty of staccato things as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Another excellent must have. Four disc box set of Clifford Brown's works. This is sort of cheating, but he died young and didn't record much.

85d3b2c008a04aa013967010.L.jpg

Disc 3 and 4 are basically the Art Blakey Quintet Live at Birdland Volume 1 and 2 respectively. So you know those are dynamite already.