New Nine Inch Nails Album free download

aardvark baguette

OK... stupid non-computer music user question:

If my end goal is to burn an uncompressed CD of this, which one do I download (on a Mac)? The Apple lossless? or the FLAC? And anything special I need to do to get it onto a std. Redbook CD?

The Apple lossless files came over as .m4a... is this alac? That is what screws me up the most is figuring out what is what in the file formats... :mikey1:

Initially, I burned a disc converting the flac to aiff (.aif), linear pcb big endian 16 bit... it works, but now I grabbed the apple lossless version from bittorent and am burning it directly (.m4a which is MPEG4?). We'll see. One of these days :kitty:

The m4a is lossless (I configured it in Max). The aif files are larger. Both CDs work in the player and I've listened to most of the aif one. I'll have to compare them and see if I hear any differences. Pretty good NIN. My favorite is still the And All That Could Have Been DVD, middle tracks.

I suppose a computer and preferably an external DAC is the choice if you want to use the high rez files? How exactly is that done? Will they work over SPDIF or does it have to be a different connection? Sorry for the noob questions...

if you have roxio toast, either will work, just drag them in and set the gap on the first track to 2 seconds.

Speaking of toast, I had used this years ago and always liked it. Would it be worth buying Toast8 off of ePay for ~$20 or so? I realize 9 is the current version, but usually latest isn't always worth paying for...

I've given this a few good listens. IMO it's terrible; the album sounds like With Teeth B-sides.

I hope I don't reach that same conclusion. I need to hear it a few more times first. I have noticed that its not as catchy as the old stuff; I don't find myself humming it in my head the way I do the old stuff. Curiously, I enjoyed it best in my car as opposed to headphones. Usually its the opposite with most anything. The bass doesn't come alive on the headphones the way it does in my car.

I don't even care if it's not catchy. The Fragile is my favorite NIN album. This album lacks the "glue" that holds it together. And it's boring, lacking in energy, emotion and just feels bland. I should probably just stop listening to NIN, Trent knows the direction he is taking the band already.

Here are my thoughts about it from the WAYLTRN? thread...

I'm still enjoying this album quite a bit, but am a little disappointed in the fact that nothing seems to stay with me when I'm done with it. While it's playing I'm into it completely, but then it's all but gone from my consciousness. Even With Teeth had some great, memorable moments on first listen. And Year Zero is full of ones that not only grabbed me, but they all but begged for my attention, causing me to spin that disc repeatedly. Maybe The Slip is just a grower and I need to spend more time with it. And maybe it's just an entertaining album that doesn't stick. There's certainly no crime in that. And until I figure it out, I'll just keep listening to it.