dvorak

Duggeh

I've just pried out all of my keys and moved them to uk dvorak, pointless or will it result in a net increase in typing speed and accuracy? I don't know, but ive got a second qwerty on standby for when i get fed up.

anyone else tried it?

I gave it a try for a week, but eventually reverted back. Really should have given it a few weeks, but I rarely have the time, plus data on Dvoraks advantages sometimes comes under fire. More recently, I've tried Matias' half-keyboard so I could keep one hand on keyboard and one on mouse at all times. That was a much easier transition, but in the end I'm running back and forth on up to four keyboards daily, so just not worth it. I should have picked up a 508 though and typed single-handed when I could.

I was about to type a recommendation for Dvorak's American String Quartet. It's a lot more pleasure than a keyboard layout. ;)

One of my friends once tried to convert me to Dvorak and while I appreciate the idea, I'm too lazy to re-learn how to type. I like the principle behind it though, in the same way that I like Linux, but use OSX. Good luck with your learning.

I tried a Dvorak keyboard in university once, it didn't end well.

i never liked his symphonies or his column in PC Magazine.

I have several of his symphonies on LP and borrowed a couple of them on CD from the local library. The LP's are really fun to listen to, they got me through income tax season, the CD's, bleh, they just don't sound right.

I've just pried out all of my keys and moved them to uk dvorak, pointless or will it result in a net increase in typing speed and accuracy? I don't know, but ive got a second qwerty on standby for when i get fed up.

anyone else tried it?

I've been typing with a QWERTY keyboard since 1980 or so, ain't about to switch now.

I guess it's a function of how well you know the keyboard already. It might trick you into concentrating and getting to know the keyboard better, so you may surpass where you would have been had you just maintained the status quo, however I have my doubts as to whether you would surpass yourself from where you would have been, had you concentrated on learning QWERTY keyboard. The theoretical ergonomic improvements (and lack of mechanical impediments) would provide small improvements at best.

Given up already in fact, due to microsofts keyboard layout creator software locking up everytime i tried to save a dll and installer of my layout. This may now rank as one of the briefest nerd flirtations ive ever had, let down by shit software.

I just got a Unicomp SpaceSaver (over Customizer because of size) keyboard today. I doubt it's going to get me to type faster, but because it's buckling springs loudly click, it sounds like I'm typing faster! You may want to consider for appearances sake.