sunn o))) are back (sunn + ancient church organs!)

deepak

• 1 month later...
Don't feel bad, now just treat your Stax to a vinyl rig and then pair it all up with a nice pair of mid-fields since *GASP!* vinyl is just better through loudspeakers.

Referring to speakers not being as sensitive with a higher noise floor? Or is there another reason IYO? (man, I am getting off topic here). :-X

Or is there another reason IYO? (man, I am getting off topic here). :-X

I'll keep it going OT for now - IMO, the real strength of vinyl isn't in the details, it's in the live-sounding presentation. Records have an amazing ability to portray soundstage and speakers quite simply do a better job of playing to that.

totally get this, its a gnarly record, and the packaging is just awesome. my threat about not supporting southern lord artists is of course bullshit, i'm just not going to buy from SL direct anymore.

i'll be re-purchasing this from an ebay seller sometime soon.

If the vinyl really is a problem you could always get it and then get someone to try and get a quality digital rip of it. Easier said than done of course, but preferable to missing out on the album entirely I'd say. I did it with mine and it turned out reasonably well, although my turntable leaves a bit to be desired.

I'll keep it going OT for now - IMO, the real strength of vinyl isn't in the details, it's in the live-sounding presentation. Records have an amazing ability to portray soundstage and speakers quite simply do a better job of playing to that.

part of the reason I've started attributing this fact to is the relatively poor channel separation that vinyl rigs have... it's like built in crossfeed :)

• 10 months later...

I just finished a late night spin after not hearing this in a very long time. I still think this is some of the best music Sunn have ever released.

It's now available at AcousticSounds- whose customer service is much better than Southern Lord's. Drone/organ fans must get this.