balanced k81djs

tiberian

You wanna know what?

Best mod for K81DJ.

Remove the stupid insert.

I'm a little drunk, so sorry if this isnt making sense, but the pads have a speaker cloth like overlay that covers the driver. There is also a more foam like insert that you can pull out without even taking the pads off. Just stick your finger in there and feel around. Pull that out and see what you think.

Renato [looser101] was over tonight and we figured this out. After removing that thingy from each earpiece it sounds awesome. Way more AKG like. Almost like a little portable K340. And so easy to do.

Try it and report back. O0

You wanna know what?

Best mod for K81DJ.

Remove the stupid insert.

I'm a little drunk, so sorry if this isnt making sense, but the pads have a speaker cloth like overlay that covers the driver. There is also a more foam like insert that you can pull out without even taking the pads off. Just stick your finger in there and feel around. Pull that out and see what you think.

Renato [looser101] was over tonight and we figured this out. After removing that thingy from each earpiece it sounds awesome. Way more AKG like. Almost like a little portable K340. And so easy to do.

Try it and report back. O0

i threw away the foam pads the very same they i got them from todd :).

After removing that thingy from each earpiece it sounds awesome. Way more AKG like. Almost like a little portable K340. And so easy to do.

yea defoaming IME makes the sound less dark and boomy. good stuff.

Now this is interesting. Makes me want to go ahead and pick up a pair to try out :)

How is the bass aside from "less boomy" with the foam removed? Does it get overly bright or harsh at all? (the K701 for example can be ear-piercing defoamed)

the bass is just as deep - it's just not as smeary. mids are the same. highs ARE a bit crispy - YMMV.

Well, I prefer lower volumes than the average person... I attribute that as part of the reason I actually like the SA5000 and didn't generally find grados harsh (except on a PPA, that hurt). It seems to depend on the frequency though... perhaps all I can do is buy a pair and try for myself? :)

It could happen. I got new el34's I'm pretty excited about. Clearer mids, more detail and less harshness then my previous tubes. They just started making these tubes a month ago. ^^

Also I'm going to talk to my amp maker about changing my amp and phones over to xlr hehe. Unfortuneately gs1000's are sooo last week.

Biggie.

Good to hear about the tubes. Are the el34's the ones that you were previously using NOS hard to find and expensive tubes? If so, a new tube that outperforms is a godsend!

Is the amp internally balanced? Or are we talking a complete rebuild here?

Good to hear about the tubes. Are the el34's the ones that you were previously using NOS hard to find and expensive tubes? If so, a new tube that outperforms is a godsend!

Is the amp internally balanced? Or are we talking a complete rebuild here?

Yes my new el34's are supposed to be an exact copy of the old mullard xf2 dual getter tubes which is a very highly regarded tube by many. :)

The last quad on ebay went for $475 dollars. I don't know how they compare to nos ones, but they are the best new production tube in my system.

Amp is internally seperated into a channel for each speaker.

Biggie.

Wow, tubes are expensive when you go exotic.

It should be relatively cheap for me though as with the 6H30 there are only 2 types and I would expect them both to sound identical in any case as they were made in the same factory and likely to the same specs [just at different times]. The 12SN7's are nice and cheap, so I will probably hunt down a set of every kind of those to give me some fun with tube rolling. And I'm pretty sure rolling regulator tubes is pointless... and he said that he is going to go with solid state rectification since it is superior. :)

Whos making your pro star amp? ^^

Biggie.

I think he mentioned some MccAlister guy or something like that on Head-fi.

Personally I like tube rectification, I find it has less hiss & noise in my system and gives a blacker background. I can finally use Grados with my amp without the hiss bugging the hell out of me at night. Smoother sound too. The local surplus shop has hundreds of rectifier tubes lying around so I don't have to worry about tracking down stock on ebay.

I could probably figure it out from this, but could you please just spill the beans and tell me to which tube you are referring?

Lol, spill the beans, I wasn't trying to hide it. Its the gt el34m. Previous tubes I've had are:

new sensor mullard el34 reissue (too dark sounding, smooth)

cryoed valve art el34b (very detailed, neutral, best bass)

winged sed el34 (warmest el34 I've heard, a bit harsh)

nos seimens el34 (sounded like the el34b but with bloated one note bass)

Biggie.