Not sure where this belongs, but I'd liek to try this guy's book!

screaming oranges

I accidentally ran into this while surfing websites for threaded rods to build my flexy:

The H.P. Friedrichs (AC7ZL) Homepage

Look at the photo galleries linked at the bottom of that site, some very interesting-looking material there (not necessarily hi-fi, but nonetheless intriguing!).

I might look into this sometime in the near-future.

"Rooted in the same "build-it-from-scratch" philosophy that made his first book, The Voice of the Crystal, a success, Instruments of Amplification reduces complex devices to their essential elements and then shows how they can be constructed from commonly available materials"

The Dark Crystal?

Like I said in that other site:

The author states that some of his projects yield less-than-stellar results audio wise. Not being a DIY type of guy, I bought this paperback in hopes of learning how some things began. Not so much the "I'm going to make a kick-ass amp" as much as a "oh, so THAT's how it works!" I wonder if any of the "tech" he uses can be implemented into hi-fi gear, though. Well, maybe not the tech, but the visual aspect of his projects is definitely eye-catching.

I think it's the steampunk kid in me who made me want to purchase this, because that's definitely what these amps remind me of...

EDIT: To those of you who have speaker rigs, did you look at the rest of his site? Yesterday I saw a section on there about measuring acoustics in a room. here it is:

http://www.hpfriedrichs.com/project-audio.htm