Anyone from the Fair Oaks, CA area?

cetoole

Ha!

No, I am sorry, it was actually just an attempt at self-effacing humor. After your post I started furiously researching what a UC connection was and how it was used with orthodynamic headphones. I didn't want to sound stupid and summon the shovel. Talk about a backfire.

The best part about it is, various universities kept coming up in my search, and I was like. "No! I am looking for an adapter of some sort. Stupid google!"

Anyways... I am not Raphael. It is actually a misspelling of Dennis Miller's character from the movie "Bordello of Blood."

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

university of cincinnati. i had a classmate at UC named raphael who went by raif who move to the sacramento area, so i was just wondering. i can delete your account, this being my forum and all, if asking that question pisses you off, just let me know.

mr. snooty retort :P

Not sure, raif seems to think they are actually elecrets. I was assuming ortho just based on the model number. The KH-83 uses Fostex T10 drivers, and the KH-82 SHOULD just be the previous year version with just maybe minor changes. Either way, should be cool to have.

On each cup it reads:

Electret Direct Condenser Headphones

I was able to plug them in to my reciever's headphone jack and get music out of them.

To be quite honest, I really have no idea about vintage electrets or orthos, including whether or not trying to drive them through conventional amplifiers will damage the amplifier or headphones.

Nope, that would be self bias electrostatics which have a bias supply but that is powered by the secondary of the audio transformers. The ESP6 is just that. OTOH electrets use a diaphragm which has been treated so that it has a "built in" bias charge. There are variations from this (Toshiba back electret) but the concept is the same, materials inside the drivers are treated to give them potential so no need for a bias supply.

The condenser marking on the headphone means they are electret and if somebody could post a pic I can probably tell you who made them. :)

Sounds like they are an elecret with built in transformers! nice.

The KH-72 and 92 were Kenwood/Trio orthos from what is presumably the same line up, they use large drivers completely different to the KH-83 generation. (from photos they seem to be kinda Akai/T30-ish)

The KH-52 and 32 I think were dynamics.