Good AC cable for SRD 7 Pro

drp

The mains cable (crappy 2-wire zip cord) on my SRD-Pro is a bit old and warn, and seems way too long. I would like to replace it with something that's of better quality.

Of all the better (google results) power cable I've seen, it's all three wire, some shielded and some not. One article on Belden's three-wire shielded (#83803) mention constructing so that at the plug end, the shield wrap and the the ground wire are connected to the wall plug. At the component end, leave the shield floating; use the shield to capture interference traveling through the cable (in or out) and to ground them to earth so they do not cause any unwanted noise.

My question is, if I choose a shielded or non-shielded cable and a good three-prong plug, can and should I connect the ground line (and shield if there is one) to the wall plug, and at the transformer end, leave the ground line (and shield if there is one) floating.

Or, just find a decent two-wire cable with a molded plug and be done with it. Any recommendations if this is the right course?

I will add that I continue to tinker with the SRD-7 just for the fun of it, so there's a weekend-warrior-hobbyist aspect to trying this. I just recently removed the now unused speaker lines; getting down to bare-bones circuitry.

Either would work I would think (3cond with ground not connected at the device, or 2 cond). Take a look at the Volex cords (17604 I believe is the one most often recommended). The recommended Volex used to use Belden 19364, which is the cable used for the Bob Crump Asylum power cord, etc., and is a good choice, although it is 14ga 3x conductor, shielded. Definitely do not connect it at the device end. I use some of this on a CD player, first hardwired, now IEC, that was 2 conductor. Works fine.

You guys rock.

Nate, thank you for the offer. Since I've sworn off buying gear until after the big-boy amp gets here, I'll instead spend a little money on some higher end cable material and plug and see what I can squeak out of the SRD. Looking at some other rewiring with some nice Neotech stuff.

What about something like Neotech - 3 Conductors 11 awg with shield? Overkill at 60 clams for 3ft? What would be a good comparable plug? Or, buy single strand 12 awg and twist?

Rgr that on grounding, Dan. Have more room to work with these days. Tie the gnd line to the chassis and let the shield float at the transformer end? Sry if noobish; have zero experience with mains.

You guys rock.

Nate, thank you for the offer. Since I've sworn off buying gear until after the big-boy amp gets here, I'll instead spend a little money on some higher end cable material and plug and see what I can squeak out of the SRD. Looking at some other rewiring with some nice Neotech stuff.

What about something like Neotech - 3 Conductors 11 awg with shield? Overkill at 60 clams for 3ft? What would be a good comparable plug? Or, buy single strand 12 awg and twist?

Rgr that on grounding, Dan. Have more room to work with these days. Tie the gnd line to the chassis and let the shield float at the transformer end? Sry if noobish; have zero experience with mains.

I can get you a couple bucks off anything Neotech (just about) and I wouldn't bother with anything heavy awg for this, isn't the power just for the bias? If you want to try 3x 18ga of the Neotech stuff I have some.

Yes, for Bias only. If you think the 18awg will do the job, I'll buy three feet from you. Gotta plug to recommend? If also makes little diff, I pass by You-Do-It electronics every day on my way home and can just pick up something there. Need to look at soldering irons anyway; have had mine since the mid 80s or there abouts.

I can get you a couple bucks off anything Neotech (just about) and I wouldn't bother with anything heavy awg for this, isn't the power just for the bias? If you want to try 3x 18ga of the Neotech stuff I have some.