I'm becoming mad... tube matching for grado headpgones!

malmstrom

Hi guys,

I possess a wonderfull, like new, melos sha-gold and a pair of vintage grado rs-1!!!

I need a pair of very good tube to use but, I've not sufficient money for experimenting different options... :(

So between these tubes, which one is the best for my needing?

Mullard E88CC-01

Telefunken E88CC

Amperex 7308

Siemens E88CC A0

If you have other options in mind please let me know! :D

Thanks in advance!

paging nikon god, paging nikon god...

Im here!

I dont like the Melos with the RS-1, its far enough into the "smooth" category that it dosnt have enough detail for me.

OTOH, Melos + HP1000 = Win

I do find myself listening to my RS-1 more than my HP-2 as I think they sound better on "non melos" amps than the HP-2.

On the Q of what tubes to use in the Melos I used to be into rolling and comparing tubes, but its been ages since I was into that. I would look for something described as having slightly bright treble and thin bass with the HP-1000 in a Melos. I think there are some pretty detailed comparisons on various 6dj8 tubes in a Melos on Head-fi.

Hi guys,

I possess a wonderfull, like new, melos sha-gold and a pair of vintage grado rs-1!!!

I need a pair of very good tube to use but, I've not sufficient money for experimenting different options... :(

So between these tubes, which one is the best for my needing?

Mullard E88CC-01

Telefunken E88CC

Amperex 7308

Siemens E88CC A0

If you have other options in mind please let me know! :D

Thanks in advance!

Blutarsky's Melos SHA Gold sounded fantastic (as good as a Zana Deux, maybe slightly better) with the Siemens tubes. I haven't heard it with any of the others, so I can't comment.

This was listening with my APS V3 cabled RS-1 which are much more detailed than stock ones, and with flats my recabled RS-1 sound very similar to my old HP-1000 (HP-2) that I sold Blutarsky. Not only did this Melos sound good with these two, but also good with HP-1000 (HP-1) with SAA Equinox cable, HF-1 Jenna Labs cable/wood cups, stock PS-1, and PS-1 in an HF-1 wood body and SR-325 metal cups with Silver Dragon Cable.

Blutarsky's Melos SHA Gold sounded fantastic (as good as a Zana Deux, maybe slightly better) with the Siemens tubes. I haven't heard it with any of the others, so I can't comment.

This was listening with my APS V3 cabled RS-1 which are much more detailed than stock ones, and with flats my recabled RS-1 sound very similar to my old HP-1000 (HP-2) that I sold Blutarsky. Not only did this Melos sound good with these two, but also good with HP-1000 (HP-1) with SAA Equinox cable, HF-1 Jenna Labs cable/wood cups, stock PS-1, and PS-1 in an HF-1 wood body and SR-325 metal cups with Silver Dragon Cable.

Thanks thanks!!!

I also have a pair or rs-1 recabled a puresound! So the suggestion to use siemes is very welcome!!!

My melos is modded in an intresting way! The people that make the upgrade said to me that the componets are already very good.

The only recabled with pure silver the internal wire and soldering and put very high accurate resistance made in Italy!

They said also that changing the trasformer would be a big upgrade but it's really expensive to obtain a custom one of high class!!

Thanks for the help!!

I've tried the telefunken, mullard, and siemens tubes with my Sha-1 and a pair of SR60, and my favorite was the siemens.

I don't own and have never owned an RS1 though, so I can't tell you how the tubes are with those phones.

Dear John, can you describe the sonic differences between these valves, also specifing the models!! It would be of much help! Thanks in advance!

Marco

Dear John, can you describe the sonic differences between these valves, also specifing the models!! It would be of much help! Thanks in advance!

Marco

Note: I haven't listened to this rig in about six months. The amp is not working at the moment, and I've sold the SR60 since then, so these impressions are only what I remember. Try the Melos tube rolling thread over at head-fi for more in depth impressions.

compared to an electroharmonix 6dj8/6922 tube (rebadged under a billion other names)

telefunken: More focused on the low end and not so much the highs. I didn't really like this one as much as the mullard or the siemens.

mullard: I don't remember which one of the many this was, but I do remember it having a more pronounced midrange and slightly recessed highs and lows. Worked pretty well with the sr-60.

siemens: More highs, mids, and lows, very well controlled, not so much lush overwhelming syrupy sound. There's a difference between being sounding sweet and sounding sickeningly sweet, and these do not cross that line.

Those are just my observations. My ears aren't the same as yours. likewise with my musical preferences. My recommendation is to purchase a set of each so you can see which you like the most.