Binaural Head

Dreadhead

I disagree. As far as weight and surface finish: The Gras KEMAR head is smooth (so smooth it shines) weighs 17.1 lbs for a head, neck, shoulders and torso and is another standard in Etymotic research.

http://www.grasinfo.dk/documents/pd_45BA_ver_12_10_07.PDF

The soft pinnae are cool but I could likely get that to work later if I tried. The KU100 is around 8lbs which is in the range for the human head though but the fact that the KEMAR is lighter points to this being not much of an issue. Also I could easily add weight anyway.

Mic quality is an issue as you say but if I set it up this way I can easily switch to earthworks M30s which I argue are about as high quality as it gets and the ECM8000s I was starting with are very well reviewed for sound quality and low distortion at least on the websites I've visited.

Disagree with what?

Also, the PDF document you posted stated "This head and torso simulator (HATS) is based on worldwide average human male and female head and torso dimensions and meets the requirements of ANSI S3.36/ASA58-1985 and IEC 60959:1990."

When building a dummy head the real focus is on the pinnae and ear shape. Without the pinnae you will not get a fully functional binaural dummy head. You will get localization but not the pin point localization one seeks with a dummy head.

If your missing the above, you will essentially have a cool looking holophonic mic or a weird sounding mic.

As for mic capsules, you can effectively build a very high end capsule design, if you do your research, for under $50.00.

Disagree with what?

Also, the PDF document you posted stated "This head and torso simulator (HATS) is based on worldwide average human male and female head and torso dimensions and meets the requirements of ANSI S3.36/ASA58-1985 and IEC 60959:1990."

When building a dummy head the real focus is on the pinnae and ear shape. Without the pinnae you will not get a fully functional binaural dummy head. You will get localization but not the pin point localization one seeks with a dummy head.

If your missing the above, you will essentially have a cool looking holophonic mic or a weird sounding mic.

As for mic capsules, you can effectively build a very high end capsule design, if you do your research, for under $50.00.

I disagree with your statement that Bob is not suitable and pretty much everything you said about the special treatment of the surfaces and the requirement for weight to the head etc.

For the record the head is 17cm from tip of pinnae to tip pinnae which is 1cm less than the KEMAR and pretty damn close I would say. He even has reasonable pinnae, perfect? No but reasonable. Last time I looked the Aachen head didn't even have real pinnae and is very well respected.

Hmm the ECM8000 costs $50.......

I disagree with your statement that Bob is not suitable and pretty much everything you said about the special treatment of the surfaces and the requirement for weight to the head etc.

For the record the head is 17cm from tip of pinnae to tip pinnae which is 1cm less than the KEMAR and pretty damn close I would say. He even has reasonable pinnae, perfect? No but reasonable. Last time I looked the Aachen head didn't even have real pinnae and is very well respected.

Hmm the ECM8000 costs $50.......

I see and understand. You don't need the special treatment but my point was that some of the expensive heads claim to have this special treatment. It was in reference to "what you pay for".

As is, Bob is not suitable. You will need to modify him and those ears are not suitable for a true binaural head. I know because I tried and have built various binaural and holophonic mics.

And yes, I am familiar with the Behringer ECM8000. Great for recording impulses. You can get 1 for $50. I can do 4 - 6 mics at that price with better sound quality than the Behringer ECM8000.

Regardless, part of the fun in doing these things is learning and trying different things. Good luck with your build.