Recommend auto center punch?

Pars

I know I've seen it here before, but couldn't find it with a couple of searches. Someone told me to avoid the auto center punches at harbor freight and get one from ebay. I took a look on ebay, and see a number of $4.95 ones, plus some Starrett's that are going to go over $10 or $15. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris

I know Harbor Freight is a dirty word when it comes to quality tools, but seriously, I've had very good experience with this center punch:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

00621.gif

They sell different ones from this, so perhaps the other ones they sell are not very good, but this one has seemed to work well for me. I've purchased a couple of them on sale for $2.99. Maybe you have to have Harbor Freight drill bit tips to match up with the center punch indentations. I use those, too, so maybe it helps ;) :

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

91616.gif

(The one on the left is indespensible, the middle one is OK, the one on the right is useless.)

Some tools from Harbor Freight work great. I have a concrete mixer from them that's lasted 6 years now.

Mine looks like the pic Nate showed, also with adjustable tension. I think I'd give the Harbor Freight one a try though, if you have one locally.

I'm sniping some starretts on ebay right now, but if I don't get one of those, I'll look into the Harbor Freight one. I do have one locally.

I have that stepped drill bit set and it chatters like a bitch in my drill press. I already had an Irwin like the one on the left (no crap coating on it though), so I bought a set of Irwin from ebay and they work great. The HF are relegated to don't care duty now :)

Just bought some 4-40, 6-32 and 8-32 bottom taps and one spiral from ebay. Great deal... 5 taps for $17 shipped. I had been looking at McMaster-Carr, MSC etc., but when you can get NOS ones for ~$2 each... heh. Oh, and I picked up some TapMagic from a local Grainger. First time I had been there and I'll have to go back. I had that weird feeling of kid in a candy store there. Wife will probably prefer if I stayed away. :palm:

Edited by Pars

Just to add one more point, I find the right-most bit pretty useful for thicker panels. At least when it happens to have the correct diameter step. I also use Irwin branded stepped bits and can't believe that my #1 bit has lasted as long as it has. It's got to have seen 50 plus chassis at this point.