Anyone ever check out this 33 stepper?

Icarium

If the specs are right I think it'd probably suck - 1.2db/step x 33steps = max attenuation of 40dB. It might be worth buying just the switch though and populating it yourself which Craig could easily do.

If the specs are right I think it'd probably suck - 1.2db/step x 33steps = max attenuation of 40dB. It might be worth buying just the switch though and populating it yourself which Craig could easily do.

Hmm - I'm suspicious. If you look at the AK Audio Labs website, there are some nice things listed (MM pickup cartridges, SE tube output transformers etc) but the website does not inspire confidence. The seller just lists AK stuff, so possibly the eBay organ for AK?

And what does this attenuator offer over eg a DACT?

Switch on the website is available separately for $155, FWIW.

Craig

And what does this attenuator offer over eg a DACT?

Allegedly much finer adjustment (1.2dB vs. 2dB) but that won't mean much if its max attenuation is really only -40dB. Most folks have issues with the first 20dB of adjustment on typical steppers which is accomplished in the first 5 steps.

interesting... they also have this one. 33 steps @ 1.5db for $320

I'm still very suspicious. Have a look at item 150399998323, now closed and zoom in. This is a 1dB per step!

The thing to note if you zoom in is the pig's breakfast of resistor types - there are Dale ones, blue ones I don't recognise, ones with colour coded values. Almost looks like these are cobbled together using whatever job lots of resistors the guy gets hold of - hence the wild differences in attenuation per step and different resistor manufacturers in the same attenuator.