Any recommendations for New Orleans?

Beefy

Hey y'all! I'm going to be in New Orleans for 10 days firstly for a conference, then a few days off...... any specific suggestions for bars, restaurants and activities?

I've got a Fodor's guide, but would love to hear your suggestions. Cheers! :)

greatest city on the planet. my go to restaraunt is Mandinas on Canal. free parking and great poboys. for finer dining, Galatoires is a classic and hard to beat. bar wise, after you get done with Bourbon St, hike to the back of the quarter to Frenchmen street, a much less touristy strip with lots of cool spots.

what specific dates will you be in town? I'll recommend you some cool local music, maybe we could even meet up for a show. :)

Thanks guys. We had heard Frenchmen St is where its at for locals... cheaper, tidier, etc. than Bourbon St, and all the restaurant suggestions sound great :)

I'm in town from tomorrow night through the morning of Monday 24. Conference business will be a priority till Wednesday, but if you've got an inside line on a good show on Thursday or later I might check it out!

Posty, count on a meetup this fall sometime after I get moved to Tallahassee. Never been to NOLA.

word. I think Tallahassee puts you about 7 hours from NOLA, maybe less? I'm about 2 hours from NOLA. Its a ways away but you should start considering a trip for Jazzfest. Always a good time. But I go over there several times a year anyway for shows.

In fact just this weekend I bought tickets to go see Tool there this summer. :peter:

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up having a great time :)

SO much food and drink...... I loved catfish wherever I went, but disliked crawfish - why you wouldn't have lobster or shrimp instead is beyond me. And the stench of crawfish coming from every bin - UGH!

Loved po boys in every form, particularly roast beef. But I gotta say I was disappointed with the muffuletta. It is basically what we used to call a continental roll back in Australia, but without the goodies that made them really special like sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers.

Abita beer is awesome in every variety, and so damn cheap! Loved the Restoration Pale Ale in particular. Not a fan of hurricanes though! :)

Ended up having a great time :)

SO much food and drink...... I loved catfish wherever I went, but disliked crawfish - why you wouldn't have lobster or shrimp instead is beyond me. And the stench of crawfish coming from every bin - UGH!

Loved po boys in every form, particularly roast beef. But I gotta say I was disappointed with the muffuletta. It is basically what we used to call a continental roll back in Australia, but without the goodies that made them really special like sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers.

Abita beer is awesome in every variety, and so damn cheap! Loved the Restoration Pale Ale in particular. Not a fan of hurricanes though! :)

glad you had a good time! i'm already planning my Jazzfest 2011. we should really just have Canjam in NOLA next year during Jazzfest but just not bring any gear or invite any vendors.