Arcam Solo rDac

HiWire

• 2 months later...

I'm checking out the rDac for the first time at home since getting it. Ok so I'm totally drunk right now which is probably affecting my perception. But the best kind of listening is drunk lstening, right? I'm running it from the coax output of my Arcam CD36 and using the Gilmor Lite. Not bad, but definitely not in the league of my Plinus CDP. Will probably compare to the Arcam CDP sometime later for a fair comparioson. Right now though I'm headbaging to some Helloween and totally enjoying it, whooo!

I wrote a quick impression over at HF from my 3-days-ago listening session: Arcam rDac - it's out! - Page 2 - Head-Fi.org Community

I was going to listen again yesterday night but the amount of whisky I drank made it never happen. :P In fact the only thing I remember is that I couldn't see straight, was swaying in my chair, & was saying random stuff out loud. It made me oversleep this morning, which made me late for work. So I'll try to listen again soon without getting drunk, and not on a weeknight again either. :palm:

Well the DAC and the CDP sounded similar enough that I suspected it was in part due to the 8740/8741, is that an inaccurate assumption? Should there be a more obvious audible difference between the two chips? I've already tried to determine how to open the rDac btw but it didn't look obvious, I guess Arcam doesn't want people opening it.