6CG7s in the 007t

sschell

Until now, I've been using the included GE 8CG7s in my 007t. Today, however, I received a set of Japanese-made B&K 6CG7s and swapped those in place of the GEs. I then went through the re-biasing procedures (akin to trying to enter a revolving door in the middle of a tornado). Now for the problem...

With the pot turned all the way up, I'm barely getting any volume. This is compared to the ear splitting volumes the 86G7s put out at about 9 o'clock. Are the tubes bad, or did I not bias them properly?

First time i've even heard of 8cg7's in an 007t. if the unit really was set up for the 8cg7's then the filaments of 6cg7 would

be way high. In any case unless the tubes are competely toast, if they bias right, then they pretty much have to work.

In fact if the tubes are toast, they would not bias correctly.

offset to make the difference between the tubes zero

bias to make the difference between each tube and ground zero.

I guess that really depends on what you define as "right". I was able to bias the tubes' filaments dead on 0 for TVR 3 and 4 on both channels. TVR 1 and 2 are probably within 1.5V of 0, but I wasn't able to get them to settle. I had about the same result with the 8GC7s, which I settled on as "good enough", so I figure the same would be true of the 6 volt version.

I've never seen one of the 8CG7 amps but it would be mighty reckless of Stax not to mark them in some way. I'm sure they know the bias procedure for these amps is well known and people are replacing the tubes. Perhaps why Stax is moving to the ECC99 since it is only new stock and the only upgrade would be to the gold pin version.