The Fickle Peach in Muncie, Indiana...

emelius

mostly for my own usage/amusement, I'm posting this

a) on the off chance that any of you are near enough to The Fickle Peach in N.E. Indiana to attend any of these five days...

B) because i'm going to be there the evening of the 8th reporting my findings w/a friend or two & a drinking group...taking cruddy, lowlight pics etc....

c) just to get the word out about these two bars (see below for The Heorot) in case you ever find yourself passing through...

Event Details:

The Fickle Peach's fifth anniversary falls on Thursday, October 7th, and it will be a one of a kind blowout. We start on the fifth and run five days of beer excellence.

We are tapping a wonderful collection of A+ to B- beers:

Oct 5th

Founder's Breakfast Stout A+

Three Floyds' Alpha King A

Bell's Brewing Le Batteur of the Jazz series

Oct 6th

Three Floyds' Apocalypse Cow A-

Bell's Brewing Sparkling Ale B+

Bell's Brewing Le Pianiste 2nd in Jazz series

Oct 7th

Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout A+

Founder's Nemesis A- 2010

Three Floyds' Dreadnaught

BBC's Mephistopheles Metamorphosis B- Tripel Cellared 5 years

BBC's Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout B+

Stone's Ruination IPA A

Boulevard's Tank #7 Farmhouse Ale A-

Left Hand's Imperial Stout B+

Jolly Pumpkin's Luciernaga, The Firefly A-

La Trappe's Quad Koningshoeven A- Cellared one year

Bell's Brewing Le Contrebassiste 3rd in the Jazz series

Should any of those run dry, we will then tap...

Founder's Old Curmudgeon B+

Founder's Devil Dancer A-

Founder's El Diablo Del Noche A-

Founder's Backwoods Bastard A- (Cellared one year. Mmmm!)

And finally, Upland will provide a firkin of Caleb's choice that will be tapped on Saturday the 9th.

Thanks, we hope to see as many beer geeks/lovers as possible!

Chris and Brion

some details of note:

the Bell's Jazz Series has never been poured outside of the brewery & select festivals...

this is happening the weekend of homecoming & there's also some football going on so hotel rooms are at a premium...

despite the crazy list, the Fickle Peach is Muncie's 2nd best bar after the legendary (& close by) Heorot which is tapping a keg of Bell's The Wild One (9/18/2010) which may or may not last that long...they always have beers of note on tap, always...

• 3 weeks later...

FFF Dreadnaught...

always skip this on tap 'cuz i can get it in bottles so easily...but they were out of Apocalypse Cow so i went there...glad i did...this one's always got to be in the coversation regarding best ipa...granted i usually will take a bottle of Blackheart over a bottle of Dreadnaught, but on tap the Dreadnaught is better still...never have i seen Blackheart on tap...

post-1546-12951158262447_thumb.jpg

Bell's Brewing Le Pianiste 2nd in Jazz series...

lighter than the other...& just not as good...no sparkle to it...but still damn good!...nothing fancy, but so quaffable like their 25th anniversary...like what they're doin'...

we're back @ the Fickle Peach...

not posting pic, but had FFF BrooDoo on tap @ The Heorot...one of the first places anywhere to tap it this season...another FFF that's transformed coming from a keg...

post-1546-12951158271617_thumb.jpg

nbtrippel.jpg

New Belgium Trippel Ale Brewed with Coriander...

it's good...it's better than the Hoptober we had earlier in the evening & it was made better still by drinking it outside around a fire while my friend Don played a 12-string...good times...nice that we were all still going after two great bars...

fbrye.jpg

Founders Black Rye...

yes!...i'll have more on this in a bit...i downed one bottle in Muncie & have 'nother in my fridge that i'm 'bout to get to...i'm happy i got this one as i was DENIED FOUNDERS CANADIAN BREAKFAST AGAIN...CBS was the first thing i tried to order when we arrived at the Fickle Peach...i was told they hadn't tapped it yet...sooo...i suggested they tap it right quick:)...they said they had a lotta beers to get through first...so i pointed out that two people (both in the industry) posted yesterday that it was tapped...luckily (i guess) one of the highups overheard & jumped in & said they ran out...son of a!...so...they had four rare Founders kegs in reserve...not a total loss...i asked which one they tapped & naturally it was the one i've had on multiple occasions...

wasn't a good way to start the evening...& the band kept starting & stopping...must've been The Total Blam Blams leftover from the 6th...also, we were told food was no longer being served...we showed up at nine so this was strange, especially for a college town!...then we started seeing groups around us being served food...so ya...none of us were pissed, just befuddled...we finally found someone to serve us some chips/salsa...the beer was great & the atmosphere top notch despite the 'game room' on the other side of the wall...the glassware was clean & professional...

hdance.jpg

Boulevard Smokestack Series Harvest Dance Wheat Wine Style Ale...

after our group o' four had gone to The Fickle Peach then the Heorot & back to The Fickle Peach, we decided to head on back to John's place...he was our DD & was shuffling us around in an STi...not bad for whizzing through campus in...but, since the two bars are within walking distance from eachother, i decided to walk back to The Heorot w/John while Scott & Don settled the tab...i wanted to pick up that bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire i passed on earlier in the evening due to price...

had to point it out to the bartender...it was clearly written on the giant chalk board...as was the price...but she looked & looked & couldn't find it...so, i didn't want to walk away empty-handed...so i bought the Harvest Moon:)...

my best friend doesn't care for this one...he, like me, has had pretty much every Smokestack save for the BBQ....i, however, think it's better than the Collaboration #1 that he likes, but not as good as the Tank 7 which we both enjoy & was on tap at The Fickle Peach that night...

I also picked up a bottle of Cantillon Rose from The Heorot, but I'm having trouble locating my apartment's only corkscrew:)...

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like this is actually a superb event not to be missed. It is indeed a very great collection of photographs you have here. It is really an eye opening session as you can’t get all those beer in my country. And it might be that they don’t do much of an import business or the place I am currently isn’t on their radar. I would love to try them out, especially the rose.