VLSI Layout

mypasswordis

I'm trying to learn MAGIC which seems to be the most popular open source VLSI layout program. Feel free to post anything relating to VLSI layout in this thread, perhaps something you bring up will be of use to me and others. Currently wondering if there are any other good programs, open source or not, and if there is something more GUI than command line based. I'm currently trying to run MAGIC off an SSH connection to my school's Unix server and it's giving me troubles so I'm going to go home and try it or just install MAGIC on my computer. Any good tutorials or examples would be nice as well, I'm currently following a set of tutorials by John Ousterhout.

Finally worked out how to properly connect to the servers and tapped the right folder but apparently am not specifying enough for my command line initialization after that. Tried installing Cygwin to run MAGIC on Windows but it's not playing nice either. I love when there is never enough documentation or an intuitive step by step process to getting these things to work. About to slam head into wall.

So, as the newbie here, I'm curious why you're needing/wanting to do a VLSI layout with open source tools? I wasn't sure of which of your nearly 4000 other posts might provide a clue?

Why wouldn't I want to do a VLSI layout with tools, open source or otherwise? And why should any of my 4000 other posts have to provide clues to any of my other 4000 posts?

Why wouldn't I want to do a VLSI layout with tools, open source or otherwise? And why should any of my 4000 other posts have to provide clues to any of my other 4000 posts?

No worries, I just wondered what the "bigger picture" was. I'm new here and VLSI layout isn't a common topic on audio forums. So I was just curious and wondered if I'd missed something.