For you Mahler Symphony No. 2 Fans

Edwood

Quite a bargain on the hybrid SACD of Gilbert Kaplan and the Vienna Philharmonic version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009Y30W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A96CQQZGK78UG

If you have a SACD player and like Mahler, don't think, buy it!

There are only 3 left as of this posting. It's sold by Newbury Comics and fulfilled by Amazon, so Prime shipping applies if you're a member.

Normally, when I've bought from 3rd party sellers, they can't tell the difference between a SACD and regular redbook audio CD. But in this case, I got the real deal SACD version.

And I can confirm it's 5.1 multichannel.

I have the Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra SACD, and the Kaplan one is much much better performance.

-Ed

My favorite is the Claudio Abbado/CSO recording as far as playing. I heard MTT conduct the CSO on this in 2006, and did not care for his interpretation (odd tempos at times to me). The soloist in the 4th movement was the same one as on the SFO recording (Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, RIP), and was the best I've ever heard, and I will probably buy that recording just for that. I have the first Kaplan recording on LP and didn't care for it much. YMMV.

Edited by Pars

My favorite is the Claudio Abbado/CSO recording as far as playing. I heard MTT conduct the CSO on this in 2006, and did not care for his interpretation (odd tempos at times to me). The soloist in the 4th movement was the same one as on the SFO recording (Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, RIP), and was the best I've ever heard, and I will probably buy that recording just for that. I have the first Kaplan recording on LP and didn't care for it much. YMMV.

I haven't heard MTT with the CSO, but him conducting the SFO is similar to Bernstein's interpretation (also very polarizing).