Chicago Restaurant Recs

falkon

I'm headed to Chicago next week and I'm looking for a few places to eat. I won't be driving so they'll have to be accessible by train/cab.

I'm looking for somewhere for a nice Saturday lunch date. Around $100 for 2 without alcohol should be fine. I was thinking the RL restaurant (which I heard was good from a friend) and The Purple Pig. I'd have loved to gone to the Girl and the Goat but it's not open for lunch. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for a few places for casual dinner with friends. Under $30 per person.

Cafe Iberico sounded intriguing.

Sushi Wabi or Coast Sushi Bar.

Longman and Eagle but I doubt we could find a seat.

de Cero sounds interesting.

Edited by falkon

Where in Chicago will you be? I'd add Avec to your list. And Frontera Grill or Topolobampo, particularly if you are downtown.

Personal favorites, all in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/Andersonville Spacca Napoli, Los Nopales (both were some sort of James Beard honorable mentions, or something like that, and both are easy to get to on the Brown line), Sunshine Cafe (a hole in the wall, good, cheap, and very friendly, but not trendy -- bit of a neighborhood hangout -- walkable from the Red line.)

I'd like to go to Avec but that could be a long wait.

Getting in is kind of hit or miss. I was actually really underwhelmed when I went. But, the friend I went with who was also unimpressed, went back and said it was tremendous. So, we seem to have been there on an off night.

Sunshine Cafe looks awesome.

It really is. There is nothing fancy about it, but I'd go every night if I could. The potato croquet appetizer is really good. They also often have a grilled eggplant special that is amazing -- and I don't generally like eggplant very much. Actually, my wife and I tend to order just about all of the appetizers. Between the two of us, it is hard to spend more than ~$30.

Oh, and to celebrate their 25th anniversary, Charlie Trotter's is closing, so if you have any inclination to go, now is the time.

Iberico is great, though haven't been in a long time. Have wanted to get to Girl and the Goat, but can never get in. I've heard it's doable if you go at odd hours, like really early or late. Frontera/Topolo are nice ... good margeritas! Trotters would be nice before it closes... might stretch the budget a bit though.

I feel bad, I used to know all the restaurants, but since having kids, I am so not hip to that any more. :(

Agree with KG. Yes, as long as you're here, just go for it and go to Alinea. Some say it's the best restaurant in the country! (Gourmet mag? Can't recall.)

Everest - very nice, though I can't say I loved it. And KG - as a traditional classic French lover, isn't that more Alsatian than classic French? ;)

This month's issue of Chicago mag voted this as best new restaurant in Chicago. Haven't been there, but it's on my list (of restaurants that I never get a chance to go to, but really, really want to.)

http://www.goosefoot.net/