Chi Town Hotel Assistance-- Please

Augsburger

Ok, not one to quit while I am ahead, I will be flying to Chicago on May 9th to help my daughter move out of her dorm.  We will be flying home via Midway airport and would appreciate any recommendations for neighborhoods within a fifteen minute drive from MDW that would have good restaurants and decent hotels. Google street view of the hotels on Cicero and Archer don't look very appealing, perhaps driving a few miles to another neighborhood might provide nicer options.

Any recommendations you might provide would be appreciated.

I guess 'downtown' is a pretty generic term in a big city. There are so many areas of interest, I'd suggest figuring out an area to focus on , then pick a hotel near that.

Shopping? Magnificent Mile. Museums? Museum campus. Ethnic? There's Greek town, Italian village, Ukrainian village. Maybe pick a restaurant or two you'd wanted to try and stay near there. Or just pick a place close to the lake south of Illinois and north of Roosevelt and you can get anywhere you want using public transportation. You can just plan a walk around Millennium Park to look at The Bean and catch a free concert. Go on the architectural boat tour on the Speed Dog along the Chicago River. Lots to do, I don't think you can go wrong!

I don't know hotels, since I don't stay in them while in Chicago, sorry I can't help with that.

Edited by jvlgato

Easy to find something fun to do around there. Have a great time!

Very peripherally related ... Any inside info on Jamoris Slaughter, Notre Dame safety? The Browns just drafted him in one of the later rounds. I figure a Notre Dame Dad might have seen him play ...

Heh, he was injured and out by the time they traveled west to play the Trojans. I don't know much more than what you may know, but I guess the Browns medical staff feel his Achilles is healed enough, we shall see in summer training camp. 

I am definitely expanding the ND wardrobe it seems too, though some of it is ND lacrosse gear. The Irish will have a very strong defense this year soif their attack and middies step it up they may be real contenders for national championship.

The Browns don't draft players with working tendons. It's part of the strategy to maximize value. Though it hasn't worked out so well in the Wins column, we play for high draft picks, and in that realm, we are one of the best! :P

Seems to me the Irish found a coach... I'd guess they'll be pretty darn good for a while.

Edited by jvlgato

• 3 weeks later...

Norte Dame beats Detroit 9-7 in the NCAA first round finals wooohoo! Next up is Duke this weekend, fingers crossed.

You guys were not kidding about Cicero, yeeeeesh.  Staying in the Mag Mile was definitely the better choice and we had a great meal while discovering a pretty good Nebiolo in the process.  Thanks to everyone who posted here, I will return the favor in some way.