Vibeke Leaves Tristania

en480c4

Tristania is sorry to announce that Vibeke has decided to leave the band due to personal reasons. The band regrets this fact, but respect her decision and wish her all the best in the future.

Tristania is now looking to find a new female singer, as they are anxious to start touring and promoting the new album. Please send demos, along with a recent photograph, to;

Tristania

Askeladdveien 12

N-4019 Stavanger

Norway

:o

I've read that teaching is very important to her and that she didn't want to tour to finish school, but this is crazy coming weeks after the release of Illumination. The album has the band poised for some success considering it's their most accessible album IMO. I'll be curious to see what becomes of the band without her and Morten, and if she'll go on to do something on her own or with others.

I figured it was worth mentioning here with how many spins Illumination has gotten recently.

[edit] News from here [/edit]

That sucks. Their best bet is to get a high profile singer to sub for them on a tour, and then start auditioning new singers. Once they find a good one, write an album, and start touring with that one. They really need to tour this album now. There are plenty of good singers around, hungry for a chance to fill her shoes, I would think and hope that this does not spell the end of this band. First Nightwish, now this. Grrr...

• 7 months later...

The search has ended...

From the site:

1192807141_tristania.jpg

Mariangela Demurtas, aged 25, from the island of Sardinia, Italy, is the singer Tristania was looking, but did not dare hope, for.

The band was focusing on voice and talent when they went out looking for a new singer half a year ago. After a thorough search and many audtions, little did they know they would get all that, and more, in the form of Mary.

She's all about music - and metal to the bone. She has performed with several Italian bands, before finally joining up with Tristania. She lists her musical influences to include Janis Joplin, Diamanda Galas, Lisa DalBello, Lauryn Hill, Skin, Chris Cornell and Jeff Buckley.

An educated linguist, she has already moved to Norway and settled in Tristania's home town of Stavanger. Although this is not her first time living abroad (she studied for a year in the Dominican Republic at the age of 16), it's living proof of the dedication she brings to Tristania.

Mary brings a whole new dimension to the old as well as the new Tristania material. She is also a creative force, and the band will certainly find itself with yet another bright head when they work on new material.

She brings temperament and aggressiveness to the stage, sure to complement ?sten nicely. She has experience from the theatre, in addition to having been in sports since she was but a child, both aspects which will surely add character to her stage persona.

Mary has arrived - and she can not wait to meet the fans on tour.

http://www.tristania.com/

I'm really looking forward to hearing how this works out. I know there was a lot of hoopla about Nightwish and Annette, but I could never get into Nightwish with Tarja, so being "Meh" about Dark Passion Play wasn't surprising, despite finding Annette's voice pleasant enough. But Tristania is a completely different story. They've obviously changed a lot over the years, and if anything that will help them with a new singer. I'm not familiar with any of Mary's other bands, and probably won't bother checking them out so I can go into the next Tristania album with a completely open mind.

• 1 month later...