Is Eddie Current coming out something new?

humanflyz

The old website says that there's a new website coming, so for those of you in the know, is Craig going to reveal some new products?

Yes. A balanced amp, which last time I talked to Craig, will be a different topology than the Zana and not simply a Zana Deux x2.

What I am interested in is possibly a new full range speaker with drivers which Craig and I talked about. It should at minimum equal to the cicada if not better.

HD30, EC/SS should also be up.

Craig is going to be busy for sure

A sweet looking forward to the phono stage

Wow, two phono stages in fact. Good to see Eddie Current on the up, about time. Maybe another power amp or integrated won't be too far from the works. Eddie current version the Moth Hyper Dac could also be an option. Sky's the limit with Craig, for sure. I am almost there too with an all Moth Setup too.

I believe it's going to be called the Odin. ;)

He's also working on two phono stages, one standard version likely SS and a deluxe tube version.

Maybe that's why I'm still waiting for my bloody Zana Deux....... ;D;)

Kidding, but like the song says, the waiting is the hardest part.

A_Sr.

I'd love to hear more about the new full range drivers. Been toying with the idea of building some horn loaded speakers and it would be neat to use a cicada or equivalent instead of the standard fostex. ;)

Lowthers man, Lowthers. My Kind of Music has a set of Lowthers driven by tube amps, they're pretty interesting. They're not going to rock out to Led Zeppelin, but for say Tori Amos' "Little Earthquakes" or the earlier Cowboy Junkies albums, they do something really special.

Guest sacd lover

Is the HD30 also going to use an OTL topology or is it going to be transformer-coupled? I would really like to see a good transformer-coupled tube amp that can drive Grados well.

OTL

Lowthers man, Lowthers. My Kind of Music has a set of Lowthers driven by tube amps, they're pretty interesting. They're not going to rock out to Led Zeppelin, but for say Tori Amos' "Little Earthquakes" or the earlier Cowboy Junkies albums, they do something really special.
Is Lowther a driver maker, speaker maker or both? I'd like to DIY the enclosures if at all possible... should allow me to actually afford them as well. I doubt that I could front up the cash for most of what 'My Kind of Music' sells. :D

Is Lowther a driver maker, speaker maker or both? I'd like to DIY the enclosures if at all possible... should allow me to actually afford them as well. I doubt that I could front up the cash for most of what 'My Kind of Music' sells. :D

Both - however most users that get lowthers just get the drivers and build the cabinets themselves since they are readily available. Keep in mind though that lowthers are usually hornloaded to increase the bass output, there are some very nice cabinet plans out there for lowthers already.

Both, but most people build the enclosures themselves since the drivers' been around for ages and there's a million plans & builder's clubs floating around. But take a listen to them first, they ain't for everyone and some people just don't get them. If you want we can meet up at the store after work or something for a listening session, the owner's a good guy he'll be happy to let us drop in.

Both, but most people build the enclosures themselves since the drivers' been around for ages and there's a million plans & builder's clubs floating around. But take a listen to them first, they ain't for everyone and some people just don't get them. If you want we can meet up at the store after work or something for a listening session, the owner's a good guy he'll be happy to let us drop in.
Sounds like a plan... I think I will wait a bit until I have some cash. Just bought the wife an iMac and am a little broke at the moment. :P

How is teh bass response on horn speakers like those? I've been giving good thought to building some Fostex horns, but I have not heard any to give me an idea of how they sound.

It depends greatly on the enclosure, but chances are you're not going to feel the bass unless you have a fridge-sized speaker cabinet.

It depends greatly on the enclosure, but chances are you're not going to feel the bass unless you have a fridge-sized speaker cabinet.

Only thing bad about lowthers is that 1) they have to be hornloaded (usually) for their best sound, and 2) to get decent bass the cabinet needs to be ginormous.

I've seen some that huge ones the little kids could probably live inside.

I believe some hifi users in Japan, due to lack of space, actually have to resort using their actual living space as the horn enclosure for their speakers. Essentially, the actual room itself is the enclosure in which the drivers are horn loaded into, imagine that.

Basically, super ginormous.