Favorite Jazz musicians?

tom_hankins

Not asking who you think is the best. But who do you find your playing the most when it comes to trumpet? Piano? Sax? Seems like I listen to more (way more) Lee Morgan than any other trumpet player, maybe more than any other jazz.

Followed by Freddie Hubbard

Wynton Marsalis

Piano is not close either. I think Gene Harris rules!

Gene Harris

Bill Evans

Horace Parlan

Sax is all over the place, but seems like Wayne Shorter, Dexter Gordon and Jackie Mclean get the most play time

Edited by tom_hankins

Not to be unoriginal but (those ^) match my picks almost exactly.

Billy then Ella if I had to choose. I'd like to add Nina Simone somewhere also.

I'd add Oscar Peterson with Bill.

For trumpet: Satch and Miles are my obligatory favorites, but aside from those two, I'd say Art Farmer is a personal favorite.

sax: Coltrane then Rollins.

Bass: Ray Brown.

Drums: Gene Krupa.

Subject to change without notice.

Edited by robm321

Miles, but more as a bandleader/mastermind/talent magnet/magnate.

I'm a huge fan of Chick Corea's lyricality as composer.  I realize he doesn't improvise that much the way the others mentioned here do, but he's considered a jazz musician so there you go.

And definitely Oscar Peterson after that video I reshared on Facebook the other day, I've developed a new appreciation for him.

I really don't know enough about jazz considering how much I love it, I really should listen and learn more.

i like basie better than peterson, its about the space between the notes

harris is similar to basie in that way

i like his double stops  ( i dont know the correct piano terminology, but i think it fits since pianos have strings)

but not sure who my favorite pianist is. 

ray brown, lee morgan and wayne shorter are tops

• 3 months later...

i like basie better than peterson, its about the space between the notes

Good point.  For me, those two are very close.  Maybe Peterson just a tick more.  

Vocal: Billie.  Her phrasing was amazing.  For male vocals, I'm too picky after having having done a lot of singing in college.  I think my vote would be Jimmy Scott.  

Bass: Jaco.  He could play every line in a song - lead, rhythm, bass.  For traditional jazz, probably more Ray Brown.  

Guitar: Pat Metheny.  What I like in particular is that he never settles.  The remakes of some of his older tunes with Anne Marie Jopek are magic.  

Sax: Yikes.  So many.  Probably Coltrane.  Edit: I'll add in David Sanborn as well.  

Edited by bhjazz