Best new 1/4" phone plug?

Dusty Chalk

Fuck, I tripped over my headphone cable of my ATH-A100Ti, and bent/broke the plug. I also broke my soundcard in my computer, but care a lot less about that, since I usually use an external one -- I don't think I'll get that fixed.

So I'm thinking: rewire it! So what's the best 1/4" plug out there right now? Does Cardas make one? Or should I just get any old one? Should I also recable my headphones while I'm at it? Or should I sent it back to audiocubes or eifl for fixing? Can that even be done?

Actually, just tested it out on a different connection, it appears it still works, must be the soundcard that got disconnected on one channel.

Dusty,

If the plug got bent at all I'd replace it, better safe then sorry. Now whether that's DIY or factory is completely your call. My preferred DIY connectors are as follows:

1. Canare F14 - nice plug, easy to use

f16_2.jpg

2. Neutrik NP3X-B (or similar) - nice, easy, gold contacts

28747.jpg

3. Cardas GRQ S S - can be a serious pain in the ass if you don't have lucifer's soldering station

GRQSS.JPG

Yeah, I saw the GRQ S S -- thanks for the warning about soldering.

And yes, it definitely needs fixing -- it works right now, but I'll be using it minimally until I can get 'em fixed. Haven't decided on recabling them, though, going to look at them tonight based on inside info in terms of getting into them.

Just throw those cans out.
Fuck you, they're good. Probably my favourite unamplified headphone.

Dusty,

Shoot me a PM if you end up needing a plug. I think I have both the Neutrik and the Canare on hand and it would save you the hassle of trying to meet some minimum order $. Also, one more knock on the GRQ plug is that it doesn't have any sort of strain relief mechanism built in, there are things that you can do but the other two are also easier to work with in this regard.

I may have a Canare sitting around somewhere as well..... those are the ones I've used in the past. I think the Cardas plug is slightly smaller and does sometimes have trouble making contact in looser 1/4 jacks. I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

You must listen very quietly if you don't require any amplification... :)
Actually, this joke of pedantry is kind of lost on me, since I actually do listen very quietly. But -- yeah, you know what I mean, no external amplifier.
ROFL! Actually, this is true. I sometimes can't even tell if an amp is on at the levels Dusty uses. >:D
See?

Thanks for all the offers everyone. I'm going to see what I can find out about getting it repaired from an Audio Technica serviceperson first, I'm also going to crack it open and see how difficult it might be to recable, but right now I'm waiting to hear back from audiocubes.