Anyone here heard Headroom's Balanced Desktop?

KenW

Warm? Neutral? Edgy? How does it drive cans like the Senns and 701s? Guess it's pretty clear that I'm looking for a space saving SS amp for a bedroom setup. Not an easy task IMO. Anyone got experience/thoughts on this one?

Warm? Neutral? Edgy? How does it drive cans like the Senns and 701s? Guess it's pretty clear that I'm looking for a space saving SS amp for a bedroom setup. Not an easy task IMO. Anyone got experience/thoughts on this one?

Ken,

I think you're already aware of my thoughts on the Balanced Desktop. If not have a look at the featured reviews forum at Head-Fi, my ramblings can be found there. Also, you might try shooting immtbiker a PM at Head-Fi, he spent some time with the amp after I did and he's certainly heard more high end gear than I have.

Nate

Yeah I gotta say, it's a pretty sexy little amp. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but when I heard it at the NY meet, I was impressed...well as impressed as you can be when you're listening to HD650 >:D >:D>:D

Believe it or not, that comment was very helpful. :D

now that i think about it, would using the desktop balanced as a dac/pre really do justice to hemptones being driven by a melody 2a3? (@ hungrych)

Ditto that. It seems too good to be true that this little thing can pack so much into such a small package and be good enough to not seem like the weak link. As tempted as I am, I'm not sure it isn't better to hold my Sony and/or Stello and find a more proven SS amp. That nightstand is so darned crowded though. That little guy would be just the ticket if I could be sure the performance would please me.

That little guy would be just the ticket if I could be sure the performance would please me.

Ken,

I'm honestly not trying to pimp Headroom's gear here but if you're nearly that sold on the unit I'd give them a call and ask them if there was any way that you could get a hold of the demo unit with the expectation that if you liked it you'd buy a new one and that if you didn't like it you'd send it back in 30 days? I have no idea if they'd go for it but it can't hurt to ask right? It strikes me as you trying to save them the hassle of another used amp to sell if you returned a new one during the 30 day window. Just give it a fair shake for what it is, an 8" x 8" box where the DAC (assuming the Home DAC) certainly isn't going to be the better of your $1200 Stello (but might be close) and the headamp, with the Home module, really is pretty neutral.

i would like to note that i was not criticizing the desktop balanced, as i have not heard it. i was talking about something that was discussed on irc, hungrych using the desktop balanced as a dac/pre for a pimped out speaker rig. i think that spending $3000 on downstream stuff and $1000~ on your source AND preamp is a bit unbalanced.

Ken,

I'm honestly not trying to pimp Headroom's gear here but if you're nearly that sold on the unit I'd give them a call and ask them if there was any way that you could get a hold of the demo unit with the expectation that if you liked it you'd buy a new one and that if you didn't like it you'd send it back in 30 days? I have no idea if they'd go for it but it can't hurt to ask right? It strikes me as you trying to save them the hassle of another used amp to sell if you returned a new one during the 30 day window. Just give it a fair shake for what it is, an 8" x 8" box where the DAC (assuming the Home DAC) certainly isn't going to be the better of your $1200 Stello (but might be close) and the headamp, with the Home module, really is pretty neutral.

Good thought. I'm really not the kind to take advantage of that 30 day return policy. If they had a demo unit I could try, it would certainly answer a lot of questions.

It wouldn't be hugely convenient/elegant as a preamp/headphone amp combo. The outputs would be on the front only and you'd be constantly switching cables.

Performance wise, I think you'd be very surprised just how well the HR amps work as preamps. And it isn't really a $1k source/pre/amp, as for real quality you'd need the DPS, setting you back more like $2k. Not that the 'cost' necessarily tells you anything about the performance.

As a preamp/source/headphone amp combo, the Balanced Home makes a lot more sense, but costs a lot more money.

Guest Jamey

Good thought. I'm really not the kind to take advantage of that 30 day return policy. If they had a demo unit I could try, it would certainly answer a lot of questions.

Ken, send me an e-mail. I'll send you a demo with home module, home dac and stepped attenuator. I'll even include a return label for you to return it but I won't be surprised if you don't use it and want to keep the demo.

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of the balanced desktops with all of the added bells and whistles. Let me put it this way... I purchased it, along with some HD650s, as a way of listening to my computer, never thinking they would be anything other than "kind of cool". It sounded so good that they brought me back into the audiophile world, which I had left a while ago, thinking I'd probably never return. Now I'm whittling away at a $10K budget for a killer headphone setup in my bedroom, but this will definitely stay as my computer rig.

If you're just looking for something quick and easy to use on a computer or somewhere else that needs space-saving, this is an A+. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...