Terms and Conditions Rants

Craig Sawyers

I couldn't find a thread to post this to, so here's a new thread.

So UPS failed to deliver a package yesterday, just before the long Easter weekend - so now I won't get it until Tuesday next week. Bastards. I thought I'd sign up for real time tracking. I'm taken to a page to set up to get this, and find a tick box that says

"I confirm that I've been given enough time to read and understand the UPS Technology Agreement"

So I thought I'd click the download button to have a look at it. 96 pages. Doing a word count, it is 58,887 words long :huh:

Which is almost exactly twice the length of the longest Shakespeare play (Hamlet)! That has to be the outer edge of ridiculous, right? How many lawyers does it take to craft a 58,887 word document?

Goes without saying that I did not sign up to their "service".....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3

They are all as bad as each other. Our main delivery outfit (part of Royal Mail) is called Parcel Force - AKA Parcel Farce. They crushed an industrial grade wet grinding machine in transit. They returned a parcel to the West Coast of the US because "They failed to deliver it on 3 occasions" without leaving a note each time. I'd have to check my rant letter file to find the other shenanigans they have got up to. And since they are the only outfit that does imports into the UK, they stiff you with the tax and duty - and then shove an extra £8 to £13 on top as a "clearance fee". So I have paid one or two pounds in tax, and an extra £8 clearance. If you add it all up they make an extra revenue of £100m each year from clearance fees. Most of which is pure profit.

Bastards one and all.

Surprised someone hasn't tried to sue them for monopoly (I assume you have those type of anti-trade laws in UK?).

Years back, we had a third party service that would track late "guaranteed" deliveries and recoup shipping costs for us.  their cut was I think 1/3 the amount recovered, but it was still very worthwhile, and sadly profitable for them.