Dynalo vs. Dynahi

postjack

So give me the scoop. I love the Dynahi sound, but I've never heard the Dynalo. I read an old thread over at *website named censored by moderation team*, and it stated that roughly the -lo is intended for lower impedance phones, while the -hi is intended for higher impedance phones, but that really both low and high impedance phones seem to perform fantastically out of both.

My Dynahi is just as kickass with my HD650 as my HP2. Has anyone ever done any lo/hi shootouts, or can make any general comments on their general sound signatures?

Thanks for your time!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm up for it ;D

Who's got the 4-ch beta?

I almost had one started until something unexpected came up. Now that the dust is beginning to settle a bit, my mind is going back to it. Pete, if you do get your hands on one, I'd love to know what you think about how the two compare.

As for the original question, I've owned both and the Dynahi is superior in every way to my ears. This is not just with the K340... also with K240S, K271S, Grados, etc.

That said, if you've only got low impedance headphones the Dynalo is a great value. It might do well with the easier to drive high impedance headphones like the HD600[and family], but it doesn't cut it for the K340s.

Kevin is waiting on boards now... he already built his prototype.

PostJack commissioned me to build one, once boards surface.

No kidding? He's really that far along? Figured that amp to be something akin to Bigfoot.....often discussed and rumored but never actually seen. Might just wait and see how that comes along.

thrice has a 6-channel beta and cotdt is also said to have one. Mine is just a pile of parts so it won't do you any good. :)

Thrice's amp is one of the best solid state amps I've ever heard. If I wanted a high-end SS amp, this would be likely be it. I've never really been impressed with the Dynahi's or Dynalo's that I've heard. Then again, every single one of them had some issue that the owner was just on the verge of fixing. I'm starting to think of that as a feature :P

Thrice's amp is one of the best solid state amps I've ever heard. If I wanted a high-end SS amp, this would be likely be it. I've never really been impressed with the Dynahi's or Dynalo's that I've heard. Then again, every single one of them had some issue that the owner was just on the verge of fixing. I'm starting to think of that as a feature :P

That's good to hear, my 6 channel beta build is just getting off the ground - I'll be picking up the stepped attenuators for it tomorrow.

Nate,

What stepped attens are you going to use?

Pete

Two of Twisted Pear Audio's Joshua Tree attenuators. One of the owners lives about 10 minutes from my house so I'll be visiting Pear HQ tomorrow.

For those that don't know they're a shunt-style, relay based unit that provides 128 steps. I've wanted to try something like it for a while and this seemed like the perfect application. I find conventional steppers to lack enough adjustability without a gain switch and on the beta there's no real option for switching the gain simply.

From what I understand, the 6-channel B22 is to enable two single-ended headphones to run in a 3-channel configuration simultaneously, otherwise when a balanced headphone is connected the other 2 channels are not used. I am not entirely sure this is correct, but this is what I got.