Laptop Advice Needed

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

add remove app? boo. thats what apt-get is for
Have you tried it? It is seriously cool, basically functions like windows add/remove programs, except that it automatically updates with nearly every software package available. If you choose to install something it just grabs the most recent version and installs it, along with the dependencies. And yes, I know how to use apt-get, but why bother when they lay it out so nicely for me? ;)

Grawk - Yes, I'm cheap. This is one of the main reasons I don't own a Mac... though I did buy my Wife one. :D

Have you tried it? It is seriously cool, basically functions like windows add/remove programs, except that it automatically updates with nearly every software package available. If you choose to install something it just grabs the most recent version and installs it, along with the dependencies. And yes, I know how to use apt-get, but why bother when they lay it out so nicely for me? ;)

Grawk - Yes, I'm cheap. This is one of the main reasons I don't own a Mac... though I did buy my Wife one. :D

linux is only cheap if your time has no value.

yes yes and have not found a need to optimize X. This is on my laptop. Fedora takes a bit more work, Ubuntu works right out of the box, everyhting honky dory.

That said, I think the next desktop I purchase will be a mac mini, if I ever purchase a desktop again. I'd like to get my hands on an older macbook, though.

and shit, I just looked at macbook pro prices. Damn that's a premium.

I wouldn't need serious graphic acceleration, so I'd prolly be fine with just the macbook.

Just look at hte refurbs, that's where the deals are. I've gotten exactly 1 new mac of all the macs I've owned. The rest have been refurbs.

Yes, it's a front end, but the fact that it lists all of the software in descriptive groupings along with mini reviews and such makes it a great tool. :)

linux is only cheap if your time has no value.
My Wife's Mac was a breeze to setup, I'll give you that. :)

I think my Linux install took around an hour to get it to the point where everything that I need worked fine. Add another day of tinkering to figure everything out, and it has been pretty much unchanged since. Now, if I had to do it over again, it would likely only take me a little over an hour to get to the same point.

I would roughly geusstimate that I could build a computer with the specs of a top end iMac for a little more than half the price, with the only difference being that I would have a box to either stick under the LCD or in my desk somewhere. So, I figure 4 hours max to do the build and get it running perfectly. I would gladly take that $1000 saved as my 4 hour wages.

Now the Mac mini is a great deal... I've thought about getting one, but have no need right now. Where is the best place to watch out for refurbs? On the apple website?

I would roughly geusstimate that I could build a computer with the specs of a top end iMac for a little more than half the price, with the only difference being that I would have a box to either stick under the LCD or in my desk somewhere. So, I figure 4 hours max to do the build and get it running perfectly. I would gladly take that $1000 saved as my 4 hour wages.

Now the Mac mini is a great deal... I've thought about getting one, but have no need right now. Where is the best place to watch out for refurbs? On the apple website?

The apple website, under mac deals. I paid $480 for a mac core duo w/ 1gb ram, 80gb drive, superdrive, and 1.83ghz processor.

Comparing an imac to a self built multiple chassis setup isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. The imac is what it is, a 20" display housing a computer, where you only need to have 1 cable.

Laptops cost more than desktops because shaving one inch to stuff something in takes effort. Cramming it all inside a giant lcd screen and the osx operating software is what that 1000 goes towards.

Its so easy any 8 year old can build a pc from scratch and stuff in some giant box. Getting osx to work, completely, on that box is a whole nother matter.

OSX updates can be downloaded without "genuine advantage" phone calls to india and constant monitoring of your computer to make sure their little copy isnt put on another computer(even on shady downloaded copies of osx) ;).

let's see you do it.

I just specced out a full sized desktop comparable to the imac 2.8ghz core 2 extreme, and it was about $1400. Plus labor, plus additional clutter and desk real estate. No warranty. No operating system. No keyboard, no mouse.

So add $175 for vista ultimate oem, and you're at $1575. Add $50 for a decent keyboard and mouse . $1625. So you're saving about $600, which is a decent amount of savings. But you're not getting the warranty, you're not getting the integration, and you're not getting the form factor. Not to mention, you're still not getting OS X, although theoretically you could get the hacked version that would run on that system.

But really, the high end is just listed on the website to show it's possible. You can get a similar configuration but with the 2.4ghz processor and 1gb of ram, and a 250gb disk refurbed for $1450. Downgrade the above home built system to those specs and you're at about $1300.

let's see you do it.
Sure, give me the money. :P
The apple website, under mac deals. I paid $480 for a mac core duo w/ 1gb ram, 80gb drive, superdrive, and 1.83ghz processor.
Nice, that is a sweet deal. ;)
Comparing an imac to a self built multiple chassis setup isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. The imac is what it is, a 20" display housing a computer, where you only need to have 1 cable.
Granted, and the one cable aspect is very cool. The top end iMacs are 24" now. My father owns one of the last generation ones [not silver], and it is a great piece of kit. But at the price he paid it had better be.

EDIT: Grawk, where did you spec that [i think I could do a little better]? What display did you choose? Also, I thought we were talking linux computers, not Windows...

Sure, give me the money. :PNice, that is a sweet deal. ;)Granted, and the one cable aspect is very cool. The top end iMacs are 24" now. My father owns one of the last generation ones [not silver], and it is a great piece of kit. But at the price he paid it had better be.

EDIT: Grawk, where did you spec that [i think I could do a little better]? What display did you choose? Also, I thought we were talking linux computers, not Windows...

I used froogle, and picked good quality parts. If you skimp on the quality, then I'm not gonna argue, you can definitely build a shitty linux box for less than an imac :)

I just can't justify using a desktop of any kind at home anymore. Even if the cost is substantially less the old advantages (better display sizes, more processing power) just don't seem to be there for me anymore. Most laptops for a bit more $$ can handle anything I'll need and have huge advantages.

The only box-based PC/whatever I'd build at this point would be a HTPC, which I'd really like to do but funds don't permit right now.

Just replaced my MacBook G4 with a MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago. I've had Windows-based computers both at home and at work before. For me, the Mac was worth the extra money, and used my teacher discount to make me feel a little better. I picked up a mac mini for a head-fi friend and he'll be using it as a music server with a Cosecant dac. I've never used my computer as a source before, but since getting into Oink and picking up an external hard drive, I might have to start, and maybe explore the mini mac as well.