Balanced HD650: Which cable?

blessingx

This retermination thing from the factory is silly anyways, if the fee is $50 as in the Zu Mobius. I was able to sell my single-ended Equinox at a lost less than $50. Same for my single-ended Zu Mobius. So, even taking shipping into account, it is more cost-effectve to sell the single-ended then get a brand new XLR version if you are upgrading from a single-ended to balanced rig.

What PFK is getting at is that the price differential between single-ended and balanced Equinox is $100. So, even if you don't have a single-ended version to begin with, it is cheaper to buy single-ended then reterminate to XLR yourself. I asked Stefan Audio why the hefty price differential and was given the "different configuration" and more expensive connectors excuse. This "trick" does not really work with the Zu Mobius as the XLR and single-ended versions cost the same.

part of the reason for the high retermination cost is they have to strip down part of the cable and take the original connector off, then resleeve it to end in two leads, redo the Y-joint, then reterminate the ends. takes time so a fee should be expected, and knowing audio cable companies, they like to charge a high premium for their services for some random reason. they probably don't care about the used market price of their product and if people come to them for the service at their offered price, there's really no reason to worry. like you said, if someone realizes that selling a cable and buying a new one is a lot cheaper, that's their gain.

so Zu Mobius in XLR and regular termination costs the same now if bought new from them? when I inquired about this a year or two ago they quoted a price perhaps $30 higher on the XLR version. guess they changed things.

as for the price difference between the balanced and unbalanced Equinox, that has nothing to do with my post. I simply stated that I wouldn't bother with Equinox due to thier long leadtime. price issues is a different matter and should also be considered, but it doesn't do away with the long lead times necessary with their products and make discussions about lead time a nonissue. if they offered free retermination to balanced, but still required a 10 week lead, would you think differently?

if they offered free retermination to balanced, but still required a 10 week lead, would you think differently?

The 10 week lead time doesn't bother me if the retermination is free, especially if you can reterminate your stock headphone cable or borrow one from you while waiting :D

I loved the Balanced Equinox. I also had a while using Myo's personal balanced GFT which isn't going to be sold, and that was a different but almost equally enjoyable presentation.

I asy Stefan AudioArt all the way! O0

I dont get why he is sending it around for comments/reviews when he has "no intention on selling it" ... makes no sense to me.

He wanted it compared to the Equinox cable for his own interest, which I think is perfectly laudable. He also wanted it to be compared on a high-end HeadRoom balanced amp, as his test bed is the Micro with DM, and he wanted to know if the synergy extended up the product line.

What harm is there?

He wanted it compared to the Equinox cable for his own interest, which I think is perfectly laudable. He also wanted it to be compared on a high-end HeadRoom balanced amp, as his test bed is the Micro with DM, and he wanted to know if the synergy extended up the product line.

What harm is there?

I was just curious as I did not understand why he was doing so... I must say I think it is pretty funny that he really has not auditioned any other cable but his own... I think I have tried just about everything out there whithin reason before construction my cables so I had a good baseline and know how to inform people with cabling options as well as offering insight and suggestions. Anway, I believe he has a Balanced Home now ... that was your doing wasnt it ;)

I didn't know he got a Balanced Home? Way to go! That may have been somewhat my doing, but I never talked to him about it explicitly.

I love this smiley: O0. It's somewhat like my hair. Go head-case!

he had a picture up for some time in his photobucket gallery but he removed it.... I dont think he wants people to know about it so yah...

No it doesn't, which is why it's so confusing. He isn't making Grace Five Twos anymore and a review is posted of a cable that essentially only has one in existance. It doesn't seem like he's going to be restarting production so....

HEh.... My impressions were also posted largely becasue of requests by him as well.

Because he asked me to...! Come to think of it, that doesn't make much sense does it?

well if you think making a DIY cable for your own use without any intention of disclosing the build or making others and then posting a review of it on Head-Fi makes sense, then sure. ;)

well if you think making a DIY cable for your own use without any intention of disclosing the build or making others and then posting a review of it on Head-Fi makes sense, then sure. ;)

you know, he's a headfi celebrity. he wants others to give him positive reviews so he can feel good.

• 2 months later...

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"The Balanced version of the Equinox uses a different wire strand formula which works in unison with the design of a balanced pre-amplifier circuitry.

The difference in sonic results (balanced vs. unbalanced) is dependent on the design of the balanced and unbalanced pre-amp. In general a balanced pre-amp.will yield higher sonic results, but there are some unbalanced pre-amps that can match or exceed balanced amps."

Ok, Ok, it wasn't a horse. It was James S Serdechny.